Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to manage deployment job with the current build commit

ozbillwang February 26, 2020

So we have two stages: Build (CI) and deployment (CD)

Everytime after I run a build I got a number, for example, 123

When I start a new deployment, I set three environments: 

dev

staging

production

the only difference betwen these environments are one environment variable , for example, I set below variables in the deployment job.

environment = dev

Now I found it is hard to get this simple job done. Because there is no source code checkout to check the commit in that build. 

For example, when I run the deployment on build 123, I should see the source code only in that build. tomorrow, I have a new commit and run the build, and generate build 124

If I start the deployment again with same build number 123, it in fact deploys the latest commit (that's in build 124). 

Bamboo ask me to do via Artifact, but I don't think that's the right way to do CICD. 

So how can I do? any better way?

1 answer

0 votes
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 27, 2020

Hi @ozbillwang,

Can you describe a bit more about the tasks you are using in your deployment stage?

How are you accessing the code that was built within your build stage.  Artifacts are generally the way that Bamboo moves built items that you which to save between jobs/stages/etc.  So I feel like they gave you the correct advice, but I'd like to know more about what you are doing in your environment to understand why you do think that is the correct way to do things?

Thanks!

-Jimmy

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events