How to get .NET 3.5 on Windows Stock Elastic Agent Image

mattastewart May 16, 2017

I've been trying to set Bamboo up with Elastic Build Agents for an older project I'm working on, and I've run into a problem: I need some .NET 3.5 components to build this, but the new Images from Atlassian don't have that. Is it better to fork the supported images and add .NET 3.5 to one (not supported), or to script a download and silent install of .NET 3.5 as part of the build process?

On the one hand, I'd like to stay with supported images if possible.

On the other hand, downloading and installing .NET 3.5 (if that's even possible, as it might be a role or feature) is time consuming and would (probably) substantially slow the build process.

Any ideas or guidance on how to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

1 answer

0 votes
edwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2017

An option would be to install the build components and then look into configuring an EBS volume to reuse with the supported elastic agents

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bamboo/configuring-elastic-instances-to-use-the-ebs-289277121.html

mattastewart May 16, 2017

That's a good idea, I hadn't thought of that. I'll look into it. Thanks! I don't think the install time would be tremendous, but I can test that pretty easily. 

mattastewart May 18, 2017

Do you have any experience creating EBS volumes in Windows? The documentation is for Linux machines and doesn't seem to quite work as expected. Also, it looks like this creates a separate volume, rather than the system volume (C:), which means any installs I add won't be carried over. Or am I misunderstanding?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events