Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enable AWS Spot Instances specific build plan?

Sravani Pasala June 17, 2020

Greetings Team,

we are using  version 6.10.2 build 61006 and We are planning to create a new elastic agent configuration that uses spot instances. As we see it is enabling globally but we want it to a specific build plan.

1 answer

1 vote
Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2020

Hi Sravani, welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I'm afraid this is not possible, because you can only have one Elastic Bamboo configuration, and using spot instances is a binary choice at this point.

Unfortunately, the entire Elastic Bamboo feature has hardly seen any notable improvements beyond minimal maintenance for several years, as evidenced by the resp. backlog. That's a real pity, esp. given AWS is continuing to evolve their auto scaling and cost saving capabilities with significant additions like EC2 (Spot) Fleets, Amazon ECS, Amazon EKS, and AWS Fargate, just to name a few. And as of this week you could conceptually even run shorter builds in AWS Lambda due to its new EFS integration.

That being said, all these AWS innovations provide opportunities to craft custom workarounds, for example:

• you could replace or complement your Elastic Bamboo configuration with regular remote agents orchestrated by resp. capacity provider in AWS (see below)
  • you could provide a mix of on-demand and spot remote agent capacity on EC2 instances via EC2 fleets
  • you could provide a mix of on-demand and spot remote agent capacity on ECS containers via Fargate capacity providers

I hope this allows you to gauge your options.

Good luck,
Steffen

PS: Every other month I'm pondering whether there might be sufficient demand for a commercial app that complements our AWS integrations by implementing one or more of the  aforementioned ideas, but cannot seem to justify it in relation to other initiatives. Feel free to get in touch if you would be interested to explore this together.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events