How to configure multiple agents on a single EC2 instance

I currently have a single remote agent license which runs on a Windows EC2 instance. I used the stock Atlassian AMI which I configured to my liking. 

I would like to upgrade my license to include more remote agents, but I'm unsure how I can configure them on my existing EC2 instance. Is it possible to host additional remote agents on that Windows EC2 instance? I couldn't really find any useful information on the wiki.

Or is it only possible to use this with multiple EC2 instances?

1 answer

0 vote

It's certainly possible - I've ran 5000 remote agents across 50 beefy EC2 instances with a 100 remote agents on each instance. You only need to provide them with a separate home directory via the -Dbamboo.home=XXXXX on the command line.

But I'm running in Windows. I have no command line. All I could find are some bat files and a startup task.

What I've said applies only to remote agents. You can't run multiple elastic agents on a single EC2 instance. You'd have to prepare an image that starts these agents.

So that means that, if I upgrade my Cloud subscription to include more agents, I also need additional virtual machines? (Which makes it quite expensive.)

That's the part that has been unclear to me.

Well, yes and no. If you want automated instance management, it sets up each agent on a separate EC2 instance. However, since December last year, you can use remote agents with Bamboo Cloud - this option is more flexible and you can have multiple agents per EC2 instance - but Bamboo will no longer automatically manage the instance lifecycle.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 18, 2017 in Bamboo

FAQ: How to Upgrade Bamboo Server

Bamboo 5.9 will no longer be supported after June 12, 2017. What does this mean? As part of our End of Life policy, Atlassian supports major versions for two years after the first major iteratio...

1,788 views 0 6
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you