How to configure Bamboo 6.8 to talk to Active Directory?

Judah Greenblatt June 28, 2019

Page How to set up LDAP in Bamboo says that the LDAP configuration changed in Bamboo 6.6 to use Crowd and directs you to page Connecting to external user directories.

The "Connecting to external user directories" page has two links to instructions for using LDAP: Connecting to an existing LDAP directory and Delegating authentication to an LDAP directory.  BOTH of these links point back to the page they are on, which has no such instructions on it!

So, how do you actually connect Bamboo 6.8 to LDAP?  I did find the page Integrating Bamboo with LDAP, but it didn't work for me - too many duplicate group names at different levels of the LDAP hierarchy.

I guess I'll have to play with the user and group search filters.

But the missing documentation links are annoying.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 2, 2019

Hi @Judah Greenblatt

We are sorry for this confusion, the documents need to be updated. I will escalate this to our tech writers team so we can fix those links.

One year ago Bamboo had this change to include the Crowd embedded plugin. It is the same plugin already present in Jira (just a different version). It allows us to have multiple directories connected with Bamboo (which are enabled, disabled, ordered through the UI).

Yes, the page you should use as a reference now is Integrating Bamboo with LDAP - Atlassian Documentation.

• Can you share the errors you are facing and any issues with the filter creation?
Judah Greenblatt July 3, 2019

All errors connecting to LDAP traced to Java OutOfMemoryError - a 2 GB heap isn't sufficient to handle our humongous LDAP tree (400,000 groups, 100,000 users).  I still see performance problems however and am trying to tune the group and user search filters to get only the relevant parts of the tree.  Also, I need to change the refresh interval - it seems to be 10 seconds and I need it to be 20 minutes.

Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 4, 2019

Thank you for sharing your findings. I see you handled it.

The default refresh interval is 60min and can be configured in Admin >> User directories >> LDAP configuration >> Advanced settings >> Synchronisation Interval.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events