Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configurate Bamboo Server without setup wizard?

Peisheng Wu August 14, 2019

I am trying to setup a bamboo server onto EC2 with a full automated process. Therefore, I would like to know where are the configuration files for database connection, system administrator credentials, as well as proxy setup. 

I have run this the docker image locally and discovered that you are using hibernate to config database connection, and some other configs in `bamboo.cfg.xml`. I am wondering if hibernate can read database setting from `properties` file, which you guys did in `Bitbucket Server`. This would simplify the automation. 

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 15, 2019

Hi @Peisheng Wu

Let me share the information I have:

I am trying to setup a bamboo server onto EC2 with a full automated process. Therefore, I would like to know where are the configuration files for database connection, system administrator credentials, as well as proxy setup. 

Bambo does not have a mechanism for unattended configuration. We even have a feature request for that:

Just clarifying where the information you are trying to configure is located:

• <Bamboo_Home>/bamboo.cfg.xml

database connection configuration, license, broker, some paths
  • <Bamboo_Install>/conf/server.xml

tomcat connectors, proxy
  • Inside the database
    user credentials

I have run this the docker image locally and discovered that you are using hibernate to config database connection, and some other configs in `bamboo.cfg.xml`. I am wondering if hibernate can read database setting from `properties` file, which you guys did in `Bitbucket Server`. This would simplify the automation. 

Not that I'm aware of. What I know you can configure Bamboo as a data source like described here:

What I would try is an automated cloning method:

Create a reference instance as a base for cloning

• Install an instance from scratch configuring it with the external DB you want
  • Stop the instance and take an external DB backup
  • Save the Bamboo home main files:
    • bamboo.cfg.xml
    • xml-data folder

Install a new instance as a clone of the reference

• Download the same installer version 
  • Unpack it
  • Configure the Tomcat connectors
  • Import (through external tooling) the DB saved as a reference
  • Copy the Bamboo home directory
  • Adjust the settings as server ID, broker, DB and license etc
  • Configure the Bamboo home directory location
  • Start the new instance

That is what I have to share in this area. I hope that allows you to move forward.

Peisheng Wu August 16, 2019

@Daniel Santos Thanks so much for the answer. This does help a lot. 

By the way, if I want to use a remote agent, is it possible to configure the agent with the `clone` method? 

Like Daniel Santos likes this
Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 16, 2019

Hi @Peisheng Wu

You are welcome!

Is a docker valid option?

Peisheng Wu August 19, 2019

I am trying out with the docker version, but couldn't getting it running together with the server locally. And we have already setup a meeting with your support for this issue and hopefully we can work this out. 

Thanks for your help. @Daniel Santos 

Like Daniel Santos likes this
Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
August 19, 2019

I'm sure you will find out with our team what is missing =]

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events