Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to check test count?

Mark Hirota September 23, 2015

Let's say that I have a script that is invoked that runs my tests and produces a JUnit compatible results XML file.  Because I want to be able to quarantine failing tests in Bamboo, I therefore ignore the return code from the command invoked in the script.

However, this creates a scenario whereby the test runner could exit prematurely (say, due to an exception), without necessarily causing a test failure (an issue during test fixture?)

The overall test count would drop in this case.

Also, someone could cut out tests (let's assume unintentionally) so that they no longer run at all – also reducing the overall test count.

How can I enable a check for this in Bamboo, and cause a failure?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Marcin Oles
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 23, 2015

Hi Mark,

I don't think there is such an option in Bamboo to verify the number of tests. In your case I'd recommend writing another script task which would analyze the JUnit report and fail if the number of tests is incorrect or if the file was not generated at all. Then after such script task you can add "JUnit Parser" task to allow browsing test results in Bamboo.

You can consider using tools like xmlstarlet to achieve this.

To fail a script task simply call "exit 1". Also, the script task and JUnit Parser task probably should be "final" tasks, to always run.

Cheers,
Marcin

Mark Hirota September 23, 2015

Hi Marcin, I'm looking for a feature like this: https://confluence.jetbrains.com/display/TCD9/Build+Failure+Conditions#BuildFailureConditions-Failbuildonmetricchange Is anything in the works like this?

Marcin Oles
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 23, 2015

I haven't heard of such a feature or a plugin that introduces it. However, this feature sounds pluggable, as Bamboo already has extendable post build processors. So maybe it's worth to look through Atlassian Marketplace for a plugin that does it? You can also create a feature request under https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BAM.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events