How to avoid downtime during bamboo scheduled backups?

nirmalshankar July 28, 2017

At this point in time our bamboo needs to be up all the time and we cannot afford a downtime. When bamboo does the scheduled backups it goes offline. Is there any other way to get the backups going without downtime?

2 answers

0 votes
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 2, 2017

The internal scheduled export feature isn't meant to be used on large instances or instances that need to stay up all the time. Instead, use your DBMS specific tools to back up the database and standard FS tools to back up the home directory. This will be much faster and won't result in downtime.

Francis Lee Mondia July 29, 2018

Hi,

In our case, we have jobs publishing artifacts. Under the current backup set-up (internal scheduled export), we found out artifact publishing will fail if bamboo is not available (naturally during our backup period).

My question is, will a race condition on some resource being backed-up by rsync not cause artifact publishing to fail? I can run some tests but it would save me the time if you/someone can confirm if this is the case (still fail if artifact/some resoure being published is backed-up by rsync).

Kind regards,

Francis

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 1, 2017

Hi Nirmal,

By design Bamboo will be unavailable while the backup process completes per the Exporting data for backups knowledge base article.

At this point I would create a Suggestion on JAC for this particular feature.  Once you do that please add the link to the ticket here so others can find it and  vote on it to add impact.

Cheers,

Branden

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events