How does one use Windows Live Messenger as an IM Server for Bamboo notifications?

pezjoker August 23, 2012

How can i use windows live messenger to send build notifications from my Bamboo build server?

I'm behind my corporate firewall, however i believe i've sorted out all issues related to that, and all ports and what not are open and available. However, i get a "no response from server" no matter what i do.

Is there any documentation on how to hook bamboo up to use window live messenger? Is there documentation that states that it isn't possible?

I am not really looking to troubleshoot here, i'm mostly just asking if there is any documentation on this subject, as i cannot seem to find any.

1 answer

0 votes
James Dumay
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2012

Hi pezjoker,

Bamboo did not support Windows Live Messenger up until recently when Microsoft introduced XMPP/Jabber protocol access for Live Messenger.

Microsoft has some documentation on how to access Live Messanger accounts through XMPP/Jabber. Have you tried the server connection information on this page?

Thanks
James

pezjoker August 23, 2012

Thanks for the response, James!

I started to look at the msdn articles right before i posted the question here, and when i got to the application client id and the authentication token and that lot, i decided i'd rather try harder to find some Bamboo specific documentation before i got lost in that xmpp \ see-other-host \ oauth 2.0 madness which i know nothing about.

James Dumay
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2012

No problems! Did you end up getting it working?

pezjoker August 23, 2012

Nope. Not working. I could be misreading this, but it sounds like there is stuff that Bamboo will have to have written to even make it possible.

(note, this was a change to the initial xmpp release for wlm that went out in april of 2012 and was a breaking change. is it possible that bamboo no longer works, given these changes?)

• Your app must implement see-other-host. For details, see the "see-other-host" section in RFC6120: XMPP: Core.

Note The see-other-host requirement is a breaking change beginning with the April 2012 release. All apps, including those that work with the December 2011 release, must implement see-other-host. Any app that implements Messenger XMPP but doesn't also implement see-other-host will no longer work.

• We use X-MESSENGER-OAUTH2 Simple Authentication and Security Layer (SASL) authentication to get a user's okay, or consent, for your app to represent the user when signing in to the Messenger XMPP service. To do this, we use theOAuth 2.0 standard. To use our implementation, your app needs a client ID and an access token (and possibly other info, depending on your app type). To get these, see the Get a client ID and Get an access token sections later in this topic.
James Dumay
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 23, 2012

Hmm, sucks to hear that didn't work out of the box :(

I've linked your question to the issue to add Windows Live Messanger support to Bamboo.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events