Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you capture a task error during a build?

tclements November 27, 2019

If a task that is executed as part of a build gets an error, like trying to delete a directory that doesn't exist, how do you capture that error so the build will also fail? Currently, any inline script commands that execute as part of task do not cause the build to fail even when the command gets an error. I am guessing that the script is currently returning a "zero" return code as long as it executes despite whether or not it fails. If this is the case, I could use an example of how to return a "non-zero" return code from an inline script task. Is there any documentation available about handling errors in build job tasks?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 1, 2019

Hi @tclements

The script is returning the same error code that a bash script would return (I'm assuming you are using a Linux script). By default, a script will only return the error code of the last line run. In bash for example if you want to change this behavior you need to add the following line at the beginning of your script:

set -e

A different user was facing a similar issue in this question:

Please let me know if that fixes the issue.

tclements December 2, 2019

Hi @Daniel Santos ,

Thanks for the response. I am using a script task but using "cmd.exe" as the interpreter. I didn't realize that the script will only return the error code of the last line run so that helps. I was able to get it working by exiting the script with the built in %ERRORLEVEL% parameter.

echo "Exiting with return code: " %ERRORLEVEL%
exit %ERRORLEVEL%

It would be handy to have the script stop after any failed commands. Instead of having to check "%ERRORLEVEL%" before every command, is there a "cmd.exe" setting similar to your bash "set -e" example that would stop the script on a failed command?

Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 4, 2019

Hi @tclements

I'm not an expert on Windows scripting, but I was able to find an article that will probably help you. 

It does say that windows don't have an option similar to set -e.

I hope that helps.

Like tclements likes this
tclements December 6, 2019

Hi @Daniel Santos 

That helps. We will check the %ERRORLEVEL% parameter after each command and exit with that parameter so that any windows script failed commands will return the appropriate exit code to stop the bamboo build and/or deploy.

Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
December 6, 2019

Awesome! I'm glad that helped =]

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2019

Hi @tclements,

Just going to offer this as another suggestion (we are also a Microsoft shop) we converted a number of our scripts to PowerShell which made capturing/surfacing errors to the root of the script execution much easier.

Not sure if that is an option for you, but thought I'd suggest it as it made our lives easier.

-Jimmy

Like # people like this
Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
December 6, 2019

That is a great suggestion too.
Than you very much for adding that here @Jimmy Seddon! =]

Like # people like this
tclements December 18, 2019

Hi @Jimmy Seddon ,

Yes, we have a mixture of windows scripts and PowerShell scripts and are starting to find the benefits of using PowerShell as well.

Thank you for the suggestion!

Like Daniel Santos likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events