Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I pass get sensitive information in bamboo java specs stored in github?

Sugendh K Ganga January 3, 2019

How do i pass get sensitive information in bamboo java specs stored in github?

If i have to pull a secret api key or a Sensitive plan variable from vault or any other secret store, and pass it to the bamboo specs stored in repository, how can this be achieved?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexey Chystoprudov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 4, 2019

It's not recommended to have sensitive information in repository. You should use Bamboo variables or Shared credentials to manage them at server side.

If you still need to keep secret with code, create plan variable via Bamboo UI and then export plan to Java specs with View as Bamboo Specs button at plan config. If it's "secret" variable (has password in variable name) Bamboo will encrypt it. This encrypted value can be used in your code. This encrypted value can be decrypted only by Bamboo instance which encoded it and can't be reused to configure plan at another Bamboo instance.

Sugendh K Ganga January 7, 2019

Hello Alexey,

Thanks for the quick reply. That helps.

But the scenario or the use case that I am looking for is slightly different. Its not a sensitive plan variable that I am trying to update, but instead its an API key under the notifications tab under plan configuration that I am trying to update via bamboo java specs.

Please find the screenshot for your reference.

Capture.PNG

Any help in this scenario is highly appreciated

Alexey Chystoprudov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 8, 2019

I see what you try to achieve now. It's not supported functionality. HipchatRecipient doesn't support encrypted values for api token. Created https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BAM-20236 to keep track on it. As you know Atlassian is gradually sunsetting Hipchat and Stride so I don't expect it will be addressed in nearest future

But this API Token field supports Bamboo variables, so you can create plan variable hipchatSecret with API token value and then set '${bamboo.hipchatSecret}' value for API Token field at Bamboo Specs.

Give it a try and let me know if it works for you

Like Sugendh K Ganga likes this
Sugendh K Ganga January 10, 2019

Thanks Alexey. This definitely helps.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events