Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i test my bamboo spec changes without merging the code in master.

coder January 24, 2023

We started using bamboo yaml spec recently. I am trying to find a way to check if there is a way to test our changes in existing yaml file (changes like variable/new job/new stage etc..) without merging it to master.

I tried to use bamboo spec as first repo in those plan and create new branch with every new branch creation but changes are not applied to bamboo plan branches. Is there any better way to test bamboo yaml spec branch changes on a spec plan without merging those to master ???

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Eduardo Alvarenga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 28, 2023

Hello @coder

You can create a different Linked Repository and point it to a different Branch. Once you scan that Repository it will consider that branch. But, the changes contained in the Specs code will apply directly to the Project/Plan you are looking to "test".

Ideally, that branch will need to contain code that would point to a DEV/Staging Project/Plan name, then once you are satisfied with the changes you can merge that revision to master and restore the Production Project/Plan names before pushing it.

Ultimately, if you are looking to effectively test changes before applying them to production with minimal adaptation, you need to have a Bamboo non-production (UAT) instance that will connect to the Specs repository (via a different branch), validate the changes and then once you merge the PR to master/default, the Production Bamboo instance will catch the changes and apply them.

You can check your YAML Specs code via the YAML Specs validator feature, available on Bamboo 9.1 and onwards.

Thank you,

Eduardo Alvarenga
Atlassian Support APAC

--please don't forget to Accept the answer if the reply is helpful-- 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events