How can I promote environments from multiple projects at the same time?

Jeremy Stafford May 31, 2018

So I'm trying to figure out how to use Bamboo for CICD in a microservice environment. In our case, we have changes that go out as they pass each stage. One by one they just make their way into production. In other scenarios things have to go out in groups. For example, a scheduled release (because we need to train people before a launch date) or a fix that requires updates to multiple components that must be released together.

Right now, the system in place with Bamboo allows us to manually promote a build from one environment to another, no problem, but ideally what I want to be able to do is cut a release from Jira and then have bamboo pick up that trigger and search for all builds in deployment projects that are currently in an environment named 'staging' which also have the same release associated with them (through linked issues) and then automatically promote them to production. Of course, I'd need the ability to do roll them all back the same way. This is important because with large scheduled releases, it is possible that we'd be dealing with dozens of components and managing them all individually is going to be a real pain.

At first glance, it doesn't appear that Bamboo can support this and that it might be large enough to be out of scope of Bamboo in its current state. I'm looking for input or suggestions on how to manage this.

1 answer

0 votes
Danyal Iqbal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2018

Bamboo cannot do all that by default. I would read up on the REST API and plugin development and hope that a combination of both can get me there. (Programming experience required)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events