Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Future of Bamboo

Shamil Nunhuck January 27, 2023

I'm considering different CI/CD tools (and build servers) and looking at Bamboo. Given our on-premise requirement, and Atlassian's cloud-first (only?) strategy, I wonder if it makes sense to continue to evaluate whether Bamboo could be a useful product.

Looking at the roadmap for Bamboo DC, it looks like the only new perspective feature is ephemeral agents, whilst there are only two items related to scalability. There are no-user facing features (e.g easier pipelines, expansion of specs etc). I would note that competitor products are pushing new user features (e.g simple pipelines, UI changes to support simpler pipelines etc).

What is the future of the Bamboo DC product?

2 answers

3 votes
Martyna Wojtas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 2, 2023

Hi @Shamil Nunhuck, thank you for expressing your interest in Bamboo! Atlassian Data Center products, including Bamboo DC, are not going anywhere. As @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- wrote, yes, Atlassian has a Cloud-first strategy but we’re fully aware that our customers also need on-premise solutions, hence we’re continuing to invest in our Data Center products. You may expect a DC roadmap update quite soon.

As for Bamboo, we’re currently working on a large feature, that would be new type of agents - ephemeral kubernetes agents. They will allow for instant and automated scalability, resource saving, increased security thanks to build isolation and full admin control, and making builds less environment dependent. Then we will focus on improving high availability. We currently offer cold standby in Bamboo, the next steps would be to reduce the downtime and increase horizontal scalability (cluster capacity). As both of these features are large and our main focus, we’re not adding any smaller user facing features into the roadmap, in order not to overpromise. However, we always do everything we can to add some extra features to the releases, even when they are not on the public roadmap. The features that’ve developed in the past months (which were not announced in advance) include: Bitbucket Cloud web hook integration, audit log content search, support for pull requests from forked repositories for Bitbucket Server and GitHub, YAML Specs validator, improved performance of deployments data gathering and artifact transfer, SFTP artifact handler, and OAuth2 support. You can also expect the first Long Term Support version of Bamboo very soon.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2023

I cannot speak for Bamboo, but I can say it's definitely not a Cloud-only strategy, just Cloud-first.  Atlassian have a very large user-base for Server/DC, and the revenue from DC installs from people who cannot or will not go to Cloud is significant to them.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events