Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forced migration to cloud - What about Bamboo ?

Vincent Deschenes October 19, 2020

Hi everyone,

With the recent announcement into which Atlassian explained they are forcing everyone to cloud and that they are also dropping Bamboo, what are we expected to do if we are all setup with a server hosted license and all integrated with Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket and Bamboo ?

What is the migration path for Bamboo ? Is there other options provided by Atlassian which integrates with Jira, Confluence and Bitbucket to build and deploy on premise when going with the cloud option ?

Migrating will be a pain for organisation that can do it, but I without Bamboo there is not even a migrate path? Unless I misundertood ? What are our options ?

Anyone actually using Bamboo on premise with a application link to cloud ? If this is working I wonder why Atlassian is dropping the Bamboo product.

Help and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Regards

3 answers

3 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 20, 2020

Hi Vincent,

Bitbucket Pipelines is the closest Cloud analogue to Bamboo, as Craig mentioned. I'd be curious if there was something specific you knew about that wasn't present in Bitbucket Pipelines, or if there was a particular requirement related to being on-premise.

I see there's some research about connecting to on-prem and want to make sure your needs are accounted for. All information helps!

Thanks,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

Vincent Deschenes October 20, 2020

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for asking and continuing the topic!

I do not know much about Bitbucket Pipelines yet, but what I understand is the idea is it is connecting like using scp and ssh command from the cloud Atlassian server to do the deployment.
Our business is serious regrading security and we obviously can not open ssh service over Internet or any direct connection to our secured network.

With Bamboo hosted on premise, within our secured network, the ssh and other connections required for the deployment are taking place within the network and therefore are note requiring to open our secured network to incoming connection from Internet.

Hence my question about the possibility to have on premise agent for Bitbucket Pipelines.

Can you share how others are currently doing it ?

For example, is Bitbucket Pipelines able to connect to a VPN ?

Is Atlassian able to provide a list of IP for their servers to be whitelisted on our firewall?

Thanks!

Like # people like this
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 26, 2020

Thanks for this info! Currently there are some security-related technical limitations with running OpenVPN within Bitbucket Pipelines.

However, I'm pleased to share that Bitbucket Pipelines Runners are on our public roadmap and should be delivered in the short-term future. This will let you run a deployment on your local environment without opening up your firewall or configuring VPN inside a cloud-hosted pipeline. While this won't be available in calendar year 2020, it is on the roadmap for delivery in the next few months. I'm sure this will meet your requirement for being able to meet your deployment needs well before Bamboo Server's end of support.

Here also is a list of IP ranges used by Bitbucket Cloud: https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud/docs/what-are-the-bitbucket-cloud-ip-addresses-i-should-use-to-configure-my-corporate-firewall/

Like # people like this
Vincent Deschenes October 26, 2020

Thanks Daniel,

This is a good news!

Can you confirm that while we wait for the runner agent feature we could migrate everything to cloud while keeping our Bamboo server on premise and use the application links to link Bamboo with the cloud version of Jira and Bitbucket ?

Is this possible and would that work ?

Thanks,

Regards,

Like Michael likes this
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
October 26, 2020

Yes, you can use application links between Bamboo and Jira/Bitbucket Cloud. This page has information about setting up application links if you need - the process between Cloud and Server application links only varies by putting in the correct Cloud URL.

One caveat however is that your Bamboo Server will need to be reachable by the Cloud applications in order to create the reciprocal link and complete the setup. This does mean exposing at least the Bamboo Server to certain IP ranges (through a reverse proxy). Although this probably isn't ideal from your stated security goals, I think it's likely better than directly exposing the services you need to complete your builds.

Here is the list of addresses and IP ranges that Atlassian Cloud services you mentioned use:

Like Danny Harris likes this
Vincent Deschênes October 26, 2020

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for all these information.

Opening Bamboo through a reverse proxy for Atlassian IP ranges is definitely feasible.

This being possible might allow us to migrate to cloud, we will definitely pursue the exploration of this option.

Thanks again,

Like Daniel Eads likes this
Andrew Rose November 2, 2020

Daniel,

The list of addresses for Jira Cloud, Confluence Cloud given is exceedingly broad, I cannot see how I can reasonably ask for port 443 to be open to such a wide range. Is there a better way secure the connection between Jira and on premise services?

Regards,

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
November 4, 2020

Hi @Andrew Rose ,

Depending on the firewall you've got in place, you may have some luck starting with the domain names before working on the IP range list. I'm afraid I don't have a strong amount of guidance beyond that; I wouldn't recommend trying the connection and allowing only the IP addresses that ping you today, as the specific IPs used for your Jira/Confluence Cloud sites are liable to change over time.

1 vote
Craig Castle-Mead
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 19, 2020

Hey @Vincent Deschenes 

In one of the expandable portions of the announcement there is a note that says Bamboo will have a Data Center version released.

The "equivalent" (the closest option, it's far from like for like) is Bitbucket Cloud Pipelines.

CCM

Vincent Deschênes October 19, 2020

Thanks,

I understand the DC option is for large organizations of 500+ users.

We are 50/100 users so that might not be an option.

But bamboo license is not per user but per agent...

Also, if I understood correctly, the Data Center option will most likely be drop too but only a bit later.

In any case we can not trust they wont drop it and therefore wmigrating to cloud would be a big risk for now.

Too many uncertainty.

It does not fell correct to be left without any viable option, I still can not believe this is what is happening.

Regarding the Bitbucket Cloud Pipelines, does it provides agent for on premise deployment capability?

Like Michael likes this

Answered myself: no and clients have been asking it for two years.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BCLOUD-16995

Like # people like this
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
February 24, 2021

Just a follow-up on this: we now have an on-premise agent for Bitbucket Cloud Pipelines that allows you to run deployment actions on your own hardware, behind your firewall. Please see this post for more information about Bitbucket Pipelines Runners and getting early access.

Like StelvioInc likes this
0 votes
Jake Ward January 12, 2021

It's still not clear to me what the plan is if you are currently using Bamboo Server. Please can someone point me to the migration path?

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
January 12, 2021

Hi Jake,

First, I'd just like to re-iterate that Bamboo Server will be supported for 3 more years (February 2024). The paths ahead do include some future development, so keep in mind that there is still quite a bit of time to complete a migration.

There's two paths to remain in support after 2024:

1. Bamboo Data Center will be the on-premise option for highly-available/highly-scalable and regulated deployments. If there are regulatory hurdles to using Cloud services in your organization, this is the route to choose. Our public roadmap for Data Center products contains the up-to-date estimate on when Bamboo Data Center will be available (at the time of this post, listed as Q3-Q4 2021).

2. Bitbucket Cloud currently has a Pipelines feature, which runs build jobs. This is analogous to Bamboo, but entirely cloud-hosted. There are some limitations with this approach; for example Apple's licensing requires that XCode can only be run on MacOS / Apple hardware, which means you can't do iOS builds in Bitbucket Pipelines.

We're releasing Bitbucket Pipelines Runners soon, which are build agents for Bitbucket Pipelines that you can run on-premise/on your own hardware. More information is on the public roadmap for Bitbucket . If you would like to experiment and provide feedback for this route, let me know and I can get you added to the interest list for early access.

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

Freddy Andersen February 24, 2021

There is still time BUT you removed the possibility to purchase extra licenses SO if the company grows (we did) you have only 1 options and that is to migrate. This entire migration has been poor! Bitbucket is not even ready for a migration yet!? user management is not in the admin yet and you can't set permissions at a project level...  

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events