Email won't send after upgrading to Bamboo 5.10.3

We recently upgraded from Bamboo 5.9.1 to 5.10.3.  Since then we have not received any email notifications.  I checked the catalina.out file and found:

2016-04-11 11:48:24,095 ERROR [http-nio-8085-exec-23] [EmailService] Failed to send email

com.atlassian.mail.MailException: javax.mail.AuthenticationFailedException: No authentication mechanisms supported by both server and client
at com.atlassian.mail.server.impl.SMTPMailServerImpl.sendWithMessageId(SMTPMailServerImpl.java:214)
at com.atlassian.mail.server.impl.SMTPMailServerImpl.send(SMTPMailServerImpl.java:151)
at com.atlassian.bamboo.mail.EmailService.sendEmailSynchronously(EmailService.java:137)
at com.atlassian.bamboo.mail.BambooMailer.send(BambooMailer.java:84)
at com.atlassian.bamboo.ww2.actions.admin.mail.ConfigureMailServer.testSMTPServer(ConfigureMailServer.java:190)
at com.atlassian.bamboo.ww2.actions.admin.mail.ConfigureMailServer.doEdit(ConfigureMailServer.java:133)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)

...etc...

The Stash server which is on the same host is still successfully sending emails.

I have tried No TSL, TSL, no password, password, etc. all to no avail.

7 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Accepted answer

In our case we had cleared the username and password used to connect to the SMTP server so that we would use anonymous SMTP connections.  But it seems that to get this to take effect, Bamboo itself has to be restarted.

0 votes

Create support request at support.atlassian.com to get help from our support engineers

Just found that atlassian-bamboo-5.9.1/atlassian-bamboo/WEB-INF/lib/mail-1.4.1.jar exists but atlassian-bamboo-5.10.3/atlassian-bamboo/WEB-INF/lib/mail-1.4.1.jar does not (nor any other version of the same).

Tried copying it in pace - but to no avail.

0 votes

Presence of a JAR is not an issue here. Bamboo-5.10.3 uses more recent version of javax.mail package and JAR file is now located in WEB-INF/lib/javax.mail-1.5.2.jar 

Is there any solution to it? We liked to have email notifications

0 votes

@Boris Alyurov, please create support request at support.atlassian.com. 

JavaMail was updated in Bamboo 5.10.3 from 2.4.1 to 2.5.12 and some clients had issues with Microsoft Exchange server access. Our support engineers will help you

This is resolved now. We change the email configuration to use TLS. It would have been great if this gotcha issue was documented in the release note. 

Thanks

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Asked Thursday in Jira Ops

I'm John Allspaw, Ask Me Anything about incident analysis and postmortems

I'm John Allspaw, co-founder of   Adaptive Capacity Labs, where we help teams use their incidents to learn and improve. We bring research-driven methods and approaches to drive effective inciden...

1,585 views 8 7
View question

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you