Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effective from 13 August 2021, Git hub is not allowing username/password authentication from bamboo.

Deepak Adhikari July 12, 2021

Effective from 13 August 2021, Git hub is not allowing username/password authentication from bamboo. 
We are using shared credentials with SSH, so will this change affect our environment too..?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jeyanthan I
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 13, 2021

Hi Deepak,

I remember GitHub has already deprecated password authentication to their APIs last year as per Deprecated APIs and authentication - GitHub Developer Guide

Since then, we can only use your Personal Access Token (PAT) in place of password in your linked repository of type GitHub repository.

This anyway doesn't affect any authentications via SSH. Could you please share the news link with us?

Cheers,
Jey

Jeyanthan I
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 13, 2021

I assume this is the news link you are referring to - https://www.gitkraken.com/blog/2021-github-authentication-policy-change.

If so, it appears that authentication via GirKraken or similar Git clients is affected. If they have been relying on a username and password to connect GitHub, It's time for them to transition to OAuth, SSH, or using a PAT. This will not affect users who have already authenticated to GitHub using other protocols.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Jey

Deepak Adhikari July 14, 2021

Hi @Jeyanthan I ,

Thanks for the help.
But can you help me on how to check which method we are using..?

Because when i checked in the bamboo administration, In linked repository most of the authentication type is "SHARED CREDENTIALS" which are of ssh type.

I am not seeing any PAT or OAuth type of things..

Jeyanthan I
Atlassian Team
July 26, 2021

Hey Deepak,

If you chose GitHub as the repository host, you will not be able to choose SSH type for authentication. You are allowed to authenticate via HTTP(S) using Personal Access Token only as described on this page.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Jey

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events