Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Docker runner with multiple docker containers

Mark Kewley March 13, 2018

Hello,

I've been testing the new Docker runner feature for the past couple hours and it's been working great! There is one thing though that I can't seem to figure out how to do. I'd like to be able to run say a Database Docker container alongside the build. This is a pretty typical case for builds to run external services alongside them (e.g. Bitbucket pipelines services feature).

Is it possible to configure multiple containers to run alongside your docker runner build?

Thank you,

- Mark

3 answers

1 vote
Omar Herrera
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2018

Hi @Mark Kewley if your are familired with docker you can use docker compose for orchestate the containers.

Cheers

Mark Kewley March 13, 2018

Let me try that solution

Thank you!

0 votes
MB
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 26, 2018

Hi Mark,

It would be easiest to accomplish this by setting up pre-tasks to your build/plan. You could build your database and attach your schema in build steps before, and then have your docker runner tasks execute after that dependency is met, however you would need to cleanup the container in another step later.

Cheers,
Max

Mark Kewley March 27, 2018

@MB

Not sure if I see this pre-task tab, do you mean using stages? Is it possible configuring this all through the YAML bamboo-specs configuration as code?

A quick search in the docs does not mention pre-tasks.

Thanks,

Mark

Alexander Sowatsch
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 4, 2019

@Mark Kewley

to my mind Max points to the feature of this plugin: pre-post-build-command-runner.
I will give it a try - even if its an v1 plugin :(.

cheers
Alex

Mark Kewley January 4, 2019

Thanks @Alexander Sowatsch,

Our company has since moved away from Bamboo and we are now using Gitlab. So much better.

0 votes
Mark Kewley March 14, 2018

@Omar Herrera

That actually doesn't solve the issue with Docker Runners, the only thing we are allowed to do via the UI is to place an image as our build container. We aren't given an option to say place a docker-compose.yml file.

What we need is something like bitbucket-pipelines, where you can have your base image the agent runs on and then you can attach services (other docker images) that run alongside the build that can be called upon.

Does such a feature exist?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events