Deploy "Promote existing release to this environment" ?

Markus Czerwinka March 2, 2017

Hello,

in Bamboo I can choose in Deployment between

• create new release from build reseult
  • promote existing release to this environment

The Problem is, that I'm not sure what the second one "promote existing..." mean. Can someone give me a description of it?

The documentation from Atlassian doesn't help.

ScreenHunter_03 Mar. 02 14.10.gif

TIA

Markus

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Pawel Skierczynski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 2, 2017

I'd start with https://confluence.atlassian.com/bamboo/deployment-projects-338363438.html and read carefully what is release in Bamboo.

Creating release will result in new "release object" it doesn't necessarily mean it will be deployed anywhere or that any other action will be taken.

Promoting release to environment means that release has been already defined earlier (like with "create new release" action) and now tasks defined on chosen environment will be run with that release.

Trying to give you example. Build result can for example produce some artefacts. Probably not every build result is a release though (like you have results every commit, but you release like once a week or once a month).

At some point you decide that it's time to release it - so you create release in Bamboo. Then later you deploy it to server running "promote release to environment". First you release it to test environment or dogfood environment, then later to production server (like your tasks are copying artefacts to proper server - tasks are defined per environment, because releasing to different environments usually mean different things).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events