Deploy git tag / Bitbucket symbol after successful deployment

Stefan Wendelmann January 21, 2019

Hi, is it possible to tag the commit after a successful deployment with the release-id, or even to get a symbol like the build ok/fail symbols to idecate in the Bitbucket / git repo what has been deployed to what env. ? 

Using Bamboo 6.7.1 and Bitbucket 5.15.0

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2019

As of Bamboo 6.7 it is possible to use the extended/new Repository Tag (previously known as VCS Tagging, which only worked for Subversion) to create a Git tag and push it to a remote repository.

If you configure the task after the deployment task(s), it will only execute if the preceding tasks succeed.

The task label is also automatically visible on the commit in the Bitbucket Server repository, and so is the build status when Bamboo has been integrated with Bitbucket Server via an application link.

Stefan Wendelmann January 22, 2019

Hey Steffen,

thanks for your quick response.

I saw the Repository Tag Task, but when i see my Pipeline i dont know if its fitting.

1. Test Branch on git Repo -> bamboo build (with branches) -> Branch Test Build ok -> Deploy to Test env. 

2. Prod Branch on git Repo -> bambo build (prod) -> Branch Prod Build ok -> deploy to Prod env.

what i want to see is in my bitbucket / git commit log, what commit is on which env.?

I hope that makes my request more clear :) 

Like Johnatan Lopes likes this
Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2019

Ah, I see - if I get this correctly now, you could use the ${bamboo.deploy.environment} deployment variable as (part of) the Git tag name. Tags are visible in the commit log view, albeit admittedly not as rich and prominent as you might have envisioned for a build status symbol.

I'm not aware of the latter being readily available somehow, though IIRC the columns are integration points so that one could probably implement a more granular 'Environment' column alongside the existing 'Builds' column to automatically surface the information you are looking for in a more user friendly way (i.e. easier to identify and foregoing the tagging needs).

0 votes
sharmalalitcloud June 26, 2019

Can we do it with Jenkins and Bitbucket also ?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events