Deploy Branch to Production

Hi,

The bamboo documentation states that branches should never be deployed into production.  We are using subversion with recommended structure as /trunk, /branches, /tags.

We are working on new features and have reached a point where some of the new features have been merged from feature branch to trunk. 

However a problem has been found in current production version and we need to deploy a "patch".  What we are thinking we need to do is:

a) create a branch from the existing production tag

b) commit the fix into the branch

c) also merge the fix into trunk

d) deploy the branch (patch) into production

Can someone please advise if this approach is wrong, and why does the Bamboo documentation say branches should not be released into production.  I certainly agree that feature branches should never be deployed into production - but what about patches (i.e. release branch)?  Is this approach wrong? 

At some point we have to merge our features branches into trunk, but there always exists a window where an urgent production bug could be discovered and we need to deploy a branch.

My 2nd question is what is the best practice for managing feature branches with deployment projects in non production config - should we be creating a new deployment project for every branch, or should we use the same deployment project and create releases from different branches and/or trunk depending on whcih environment we are going to?  What is Bamboo best practice for this i.e. 1 deployment project with many releases on different branches + trunk OR 1 deployment project per branch/feature or business project?

Look forward to your response

Cheers,

Paul

1 answer

I am not deploying yet with bamboo, but your process sounds right.

We use the same with git. The use the prefix "release/" for those branches and keep them forever. We also give them the name of the major release number.

The process of this basically depends on the projects/products needs. Not all products allow bugfixings on trunks/masters only.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Renan Battaglin
Published May 18, 2017 in Bamboo

FAQ: How to Upgrade Bamboo Server

Bamboo 5.9 will no longer be supported after June 12, 2017. What does this mean? As part of our End of Life policy, Atlassian supports major versions for two years after the first major iteratio...

1,341 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you