Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating and maintaining multiple deployment environments in Bamboo

Arjen Krap September 19, 2018

Hi, I am new to Bamboo and have the following problem: I have created a deployment plan and need to create multiple environments (probable dozens). What bothers me is that tasks can only be defined at the environment level and not at the plan level. So I need to create to recreate every task again and again for each environment. This is a lot of work and likely to produced errors. I don't think I am the first one to experience this. Is there a smarter way to do this?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Arjen Krap October 22, 2018

I didn't get it working at all. So I removed my Java Specs files from my project. I resorted back to creating everything manually.

0 votes
Marcin Gardias
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 19, 2018
Arjen Krap September 19, 2018

So you suggest, I create a program that during the build creates and updates the deployment plan and environments?

Marcin Gardias
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 20, 2018

You can run it manually, in an automated build, or you can use _repository stored specs_: https://confluence.atlassian.com/bamboo/enabling-repository-stored-bamboo-specs-938641941.html

The point is: if you want to maintain a big number of plans or deployments in Bamboo, Bamboo Specs is the way.

Arjen Krap September 21, 2018

Thank you Marcin. I will need some time to plow through the documentation in order to adapt.

Arjen Krap September 24, 2018

I tried to read the documentation, but it is really confusing. Is there a possible way to export my current project/plans, edit, at them to source control, and automatically recreate and update them?

Arjen Krap September 27, 2018

I have exported my deployment plan into Java specs. What disturbs me is the almost the whole plan compacted into one big statement on multiple lines. This makes it very hard to add loops, conditions, etc. The same goes for the documentation. It makes me wonder...

Arjen Krap September 28, 2018

I cannot get my build and deployment plans to create or update. I have read and followed the instructions on the following pages and others:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/bamboo/tutorial-create-a-simple-plan-with-bamboo-specs-894743911.html
https://confluence.atlassian.com/bamboo/bamboo-specs-troubleshooting-938844477.html

Before you begin:
JDK 8 or higher: Yes on the build server, Java is 8.14 and Java SE Development Kit is 8.92
Maven 3.2 or higher: Yes, Maven 3.5.0 on the build server
Eclipse or IntelliJ IDEA IDE: no, I use Visual Studio locally.
Bamboo 6.0 or higher: Yes, Bamboo 6.4.1 on the build server.

Step 1: Create a project base with Maven: Skipped. I already have a project.

Step 2: Import the project into IDE: Skipped. I already have a project in source control, and that works fine.

Step 3: Define a job with a script task: I have exported my deployment plan and saved it to PlanSpec.java. I have already made changes to it, since the way the exported code is unmaintainable.

Step 4: Validate Bamboo Specs offline: I ran 'mvn.cmd test' in the build directory and nothing happened. So the test is OK allright?

Step 5: Publish Bamboo Specs to the Bamboo server: code is commited to BitBucket and the commit comments are visible in the buildscreen.

Step 6: Check the results: nothing happens

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events