Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating an Integration Enviorment

Millisa Eubanks June 26, 2017

The company I work for is adding an Integration environment to their Staging and Production environments.  The Staging and Production environments build off the master branch in GitHub.  The Integration environment will be built off of the Develop branch.  For our purposes we will need to build and automatically deploy the develop changes whenever changes are placed in that branch on GitHub.  The same (without auto deploy) is currently be done for Staging and Production when changes are made to the Master branch.

Here is my problem.  The developer before me added the develop branch to the current build plans that build the other environment files.  To build artifacts with the code in the develop branch he checked the "Override the plan's default [master] repository" option on for the develop branch.  He then added a Stage/job meant to create the artifact for the new Integration environment.

This developer was able to produce the initial artifacts for the new environment with this method.  But now we are seeing unexpected changes when we add changes to the development environment.  It appears that the Staging and Production build jobs are being triggered when changes are made to the develop branch even though they should only occur when changes happen in the master branch.  At this point my best assumption is that this is occurring because the override button in the develop branch is checked.  If that is the case then I need to uncheck that option.  But that means I need to find another way to build and deploy the necessary artifacts needed when changes are pushed to the develop branch.  

The more I read about Bamboo the more confused I become about the best way to accomplish my goals.  Part of me is thinking that I should add a repository (same repository but the develop branch) to the current build plan, use that repository when specifying source code checkout, and l deactivate the override button for the develop branch.  Another part of me is thinking that because the definition of "plan" specifies "using the same repository" and in Bamboo a repository seems to include not just the Git Hub project/repository but the branch it uses to build, then the best option may be to add a new build plan for the Integration environment that will use the develop branch as it's repository location.  

At this point I would welcome any advice on which of these plans, or another option all together, might best suit the needs outlined above.  

0 answers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events