Could not generate next build number exception

Every time we try to build a plan We get “Error encountered while triggering manual build: Could not generate next build number” exception.

Also, Bamboo is unable to read a branch tree from the repository, it just freezes.

Could someone please help!

18 answers

I'm having the same problem.  It seems like bamboo got upgrade to 5.10 this morning which caused the problem.

1 vote

We are working on delivering a fix to this issue as soon as possible.

Hi, What was the fix for this issue as we're experiencing it.

I am also getting same error. However try Run> Run Customized and Run. 

Confirmed. Clear browser cache (or shift-reload) to get updated assets which seem to fix these errors.

1 vote

The fix has been rolled out to all customers now. Apologies for the problems it caused.

hello,  i'm using 5.6, how i can fix this problem?  

Hi Przemek,

Can you please confirm on which version the fix has been rolled out?

Can you please confirm on which version the fix has been rolled out?

We have the same issue. Underlying execeptions are:

java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not generate next build number for 'AR-HD'
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.build.BuildNumberGeneratorServiceImpl.generateBuildNumber(BuildNumberGeneratorServiceImpl.java:41)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.v2.trigger.ManualBuildDetectionAction.generateResultWithoutChanges(ManualBuildDetectionAction.java:102)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: XSRF: A mutative operation was attempted on DefaultChain within a non-mutative HTTP request: https://haz-h1.atlassian.net/builds/build/admin/ajax/startPlan.action?planKey=AR-HD : [[CHAIN, 2014-12-10 17:11:41.768, 2015-06-29 03:40:30.196, AR-HD, HD, HAZ Daily, HAZ Daily, 1, 236, 237, false, false, com.atlassian.bamboo.project.DefaultProject@c04, com.atlassian.bamboo.build.DefaultBuildDefinitionForBuild@6e7cb9bf, [com.atlassian.bamboo.labels.LabellingImpl@f984fff, com.atlassian.bamboo.labels.LabellingImpl@202e7dff], [], null, com.atlassian.bamboo.notification.NotificationSetImpl@b8003, [com.atlassian.bamboo.chains.ChainStageImpl@3abe2067]]]->
->[[CHAIN, 2014-12-10 17:11:41.768, 2015-06-29 03:40:30.196, AR-HD, HD, HAZ Daily, HAZ Daily, 1, 237, 238, false, false, com.atlassian.bamboo.project.DefaultProject@c04, com.atlassian.bamboo.build.DefaultBuildDefinitionForBuild@6e7cb9bf, [com.atlassian.bamboo.labels.LabellingImpl@f984fff, com.atlassian.bamboo.labels.LabellingImpl@202e7dff], [], null, com.atlassian.bamboo.notification.NotificationSetImpl@b8003, [com.atlassian.bamboo.chains.ChainStageImpl@3abe2067]]]

at com.atlassian.bamboo.utils.XsrfUtils.fail(XsrfUtils.java:32)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.hibernate.ReadOnlyGetMethodEnforcer.fail(ReadOnlyGetMethodEnforcer.java:109)

Refering to the final answer of this issue https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/18810282 it needs JavaScript to convert the XSRF into a proper POST request. I think this is the part which is currently failing. If you open up the development utilities in our browser, you will see, that on loading the bamboo pages some JavaScript-errors happen. They migth cause that the JavaScript conversion of the XSRF request is no longer done properly.

I am having the same issue here. All my builds don't even start, with the following error popping to my screen:

Error encountered while triggering manual build: Could not generate next build number for 'PP-GET'
Plan 'PP-GET' did not start

I think Atlassian updated Bamboo Cloud, and something went (really) wrong.

The same problem on my Bamboo OnDemand:

{"status":"ERROR","errors":["Error encountered while triggering manual build: Could not generate next build number for 'MFS-EBS'","Plan 'MFS-EBS' did not start"]}

Exception from stacktrace:

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: XSRF: A mutative operation was attempted on DefaultChain within a non-mutative HTTP request: https://mileforsmile.atlassian.net/builds/build/admin/ajax/startPlan.action?planKey=MFS-EBS : [[CHAIN, 2013-07-25 22:32:12.785, 2015-06-29 06:25:27.222, MFS-EBS, EBS, EBS redeploy (test), Upload and deploy latest version to the Test EBS server, 1, 689, 690, false, false, com.atlassian.bamboo.project.DefaultProject@12dad, com.atlassian.bamboo.build.DefaultBuildDefinitionForBuild@f2ef2759, [com.atlassian.bamboo.labels.LabellingImpl@4d11ffcf], [], null, com.atlassian.bamboo.notification.NotificationSetImpl@10c8001, [com.atlassian.bamboo.chains.ChainStageImpl@f3f4ad92]]]->
->[[CHAIN, 2013-07-25 22:32:12.785, 2015-06-29 06:25:27.222, MFS-EBS, EBS, EBS redeploy (test), Upload and deploy latest version to the Test EBS server, 1, 690, 691, false, false, com.atlassian.bamboo.project.DefaultProject@12dad, com.atlassian.bamboo.build.DefaultBuildDefinitionForBuild@f2ef2759, [com.atlassian.bamboo.labels.LabellingImpl@4d11ffcf], [], null, com.atlassian.bamboo.notification.NotificationSetImpl@10c8001, [com.atlassian.bamboo.chains.ChainStageImpl@f3f4ad92]]]

at com.atlassian.bamboo.utils.XsrfUtils.fail(XsrfUtils.java:32)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.hibernate.ReadOnlyGetMethodEnforcer.fail(ReadOnlyGetMethodEnforcer.java:109)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.hibernate.ReadOnlyGetMethodEnforcer.onFlushDirty(ReadOnlyGetMethodEnforcer.java:58)
	at org.springframework.orm.hibernate.support.ChainedInterceptorSupport.onFlushDirty(ChainedInterceptorSupport.java:112)
	at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultFlushEntityEventListener.invokeInterceptor(DefaultFlushEntityEventListener.java:372)
	at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultFlushEntityEventListener.handleInterception(DefaultFlushEntityEventListener.java:349)
	at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultFlushEntityEventListener.scheduleUpdate(DefaultFlushEntityEventListener.java:287)
	at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultFlushEntityEventListener.onFlushEntity(DefaultFlushEntityEventListener.java:155)
	at org.hibernate.event.def.AbstractFlushingEventListener.flushEntities(AbstractFlushingEventListener.java:219)
	at org.hibernate.event.def.AbstractFlushingEventListener.flushEverythingToExecutions(AbstractFlushingEventListener.java:99)
	at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultFlushEventListener.onFlush(DefaultFlushEventListener.java:50)
	at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.flush(SessionImpl.java:1216)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
	at org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.HibernateTemplate$CloseSuppressingInvocationHandler.invoke(HibernateTemplate.java:1387)
	at $Proxy358.flush(Unknown Source)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.build.BuildNumberGeneratorDaoImpl$1.doInHibernate(BuildNumberGeneratorDaoImpl.java:48)
	at org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.HibernateTemplate.doExecute(HibernateTemplate.java:411)
	at org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.HibernateTemplate.execute(HibernateTemplate.java:341)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.build.BuildNumberGeneratorDaoImpl.generateBuildNumberNewTx(BuildNumberGeneratorDaoImpl.java:30)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
	at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:317)
	at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:190)
	at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:157)
	at org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionInterceptor$1.proceedWithInvocation(TransactionInterceptor.java:98)
	at org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionAspectSupport.invokeWithinTransaction(TransactionAspectSupport.java:262)
	at org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionInterceptor.invoke(TransactionInterceptor.java:95)
	at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:179)
	at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:207)
	at $Proxy140.generateBuildNumberNewTx(Unknown Source)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.build.BuildNumberGeneratorServiceImpl$1.call(BuildNumberGeneratorServiceImpl.java:35)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.build.BuildNumberGeneratorServiceImpl$1.call(BuildNumberGeneratorServiceImpl.java:31)
	at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.ManagedLocks$ManagedLockImpl.withLock(ManagedLocks.java:312)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.build.BuildNumberGeneratorServiceImpl.generateBuildNumber(BuildNumberGeneratorServiceImpl.java:30)
	... 277 more

Hoping Bamboo Cloud gets updated soon. I'm having same issue

Confirming that we are seeing the exact same issue, stack trace and everything.  We are stuck until this is resolved.

I am having the same issue with Elastic Bamboo. What are the next steps?

Ditto. I'm getting the same on, on demand.

Thanks

Idem here, i have the same error!

Thnx

Same issue here. When will a fix be available?

Hey I am facing the issue while building the production since yesterday

Error encountered while triggering manual build: Could not generate next build number for

Do we have the fix for it yet? Atlassin Team, Kindly update us as soon as you have the fix updated. 

Thanks! 

Hey, Its working for me now! Thanks Atlassin Team! 

I'm seeing this tonight all of a sudden. I can work around it by running a customized build.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Renan Battaglin
Published May 18, 2017 in Bamboo

FAQ: How to Upgrade Bamboo Server

Bamboo 5.9 will no longer be supported after June 12, 2017. What does this mean? As part of our End of Life policy, Atlassian supports major versions for two years after the first major iteratio...

1,096 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot