Can you wait and set Bamboo Variables in an inline script?

Jeremy Roelfs August 9, 2017

I am trying to fire up an EC2 instance, wait until it is a "running" state, then set a bamboo variable to the newly created instance id for use to deploy.

Reference: Bash script . I know that is .sh and not windows, but it proves it can be done, and I am working on Windows 2012 based EC2 configurations.

So I set a Bamboo Variable via the Plan Configuration -> Variables(tab)

Name: instance_id, Value: i-xxxxxxx

Then i have a script task (cmd, inline):

echo ${bamboo.instance_id}

EC2_RUN_RESULT=aws ec2 run-instances --image-id ami-xxxxxxx --instance-type t2.micro --key-name KeyName --security-groups launchSecurityGroup

set ${bamboo.instance_id}=EC2_RUN_RESULT.id

Doesn't work.

set ${bamboo.instance_id}="abc123"

echo ${bamboo.instance_id}

Only returns "i-xxxxxxx"

How do I set a variable? And how do I setup a loop that will wait until the EC2 Instance is in a running state?

Thank you in advance!

1 answer

0 votes
Jeremy Roelfs August 10, 2017

So I've answered most of the question(s) except how to pass variable to another task.

|||| -> Storing a variable.

You must use a Windows PowerShell (can be inline or a script)

$ec2_result = aws ec2 discribe-instances --instance-id a1234bc567defg --query "Instances[].State[].Name" --output | Out-String

Then you can use it where ever you need to 

Write-Host $ec2_result

*NOTE: make sure you add trim so you don't get errors. I.e.

|||| -> Waiting for an operation

In your Windows PowerShell (inline or script); this is how I did it.

$state = "pending"
Do{
        Start-Sleep -s 15
        $state = aws ec2 discribe-instance-status --instance-id $instance_id.Trim() --query "InstanceStatuses[].InstanceState[].Name" --output text | Out-String
} Until ($state.Trim() -eq "running")

So how do I pass the $instance_id to another script? I cannot assign it to a bamboo.variable?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events