Can Bamboo send build notifications in the form of JIRA issue comments?

Simply - I would like for Bamboo to add a comment to a JIRA issue when the build fails or completes successfully for the first time. JIRA and Bamboo are linked, so Bamboo is able to see the issue number for branch builds since we always use the issue key in the branch name.

I couldn't find an option in the recipient type dropdown for commenting on a JIRA issue. 

Is it possible?

4 answers

0 vote

@Aaron Cunnington - are you looking for a solution for Bamboo Cloud or Bamboo Server? And do you by chance have an Amazon Web Services (AWS) account already?

Hi Steffen, I'm looking for a Bamboo Server solution. We are running Bamboo 5.10.3 at the moment. We don't currently have an AWS account.

0 vote

Hi Aaron, thanks for the additional information. I've been asking because we (Utoolity) are currently developing a new add-on that will ultimately allow to address such custom notification/automation scenarios fairly quickly.

However, we are still in the alpha phase, and more importantly, release 1.0 will require your own AWS account. This is obviously a barrier for adoption, so we are also exploring options to offer using a Utoolity AWS account down the road.

Accordingly, this won't help you right now -  please don't hesitate to get in touch if you'd like to discuss this option regardless, we are always keen to learn about specific use cases and adjusting our roadmap accordingly.

0 vote

I'm not aware of an existing add-on that covers this kind of functionality (see my comment for an eventual future option). Accordingly, you'd need do resort to implementing your own along the following lines:

1. Create a bare Bamboo Plugin (Add-on)
  2. Implement a Notification Plugin Module
  3. Implement the commenting logic via Application Links
  4. (Optional) Publish your add-on on the Atlassian Marketplace

I realize that this is not the answer you've been hoping for, but maybe it still helps to gauge your options and priorities.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Renan Battaglin
Published May 18, 2017 in Bamboo

FAQ: How to Upgrade Bamboo Server

Bamboo 5.9 will no longer be supported after June 12, 2017. What does this mean? As part of our End of Life policy, Atlassian supports major versions for two years after the first major iteratio...

1,493 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you