Can Bamboo Server link to a BitBucket Cloud repository using SSH?

Chun Fung February 1, 2017

Is it possible to connect a bamboo server to a private repository hosted on Bitbucket Cloud using SSH?  I couldn't seem to find an option to do that using the admin interface but the document suggested it's possible.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bamboo/bitbucket-cloud-289277000.html 

Step 5.3 under Configure a Bitbucket Source Repository

4 answers

2 votes
Sean Lively July 20, 2017

Atlassian support got this figured out for me (BSP-33950), too bad this isn't in any of the documention:

When setting up a Bitbucket Cloud linked repository, Bamboo first needs the username and password to retrieve the list of repositories from Bitbucket Cloud. After selecting the repository, users can then decide what type of authentication to use for the checkout.

SSH authentication is only used for Git checkouts, the username and password are still needed to authenticate and get the list of repositories. To eliminate the use of username and password, users have the option to create a Git type linked repository instead. In this repository type, users can define the clone URL manually and define the authentication to use. Since Bamboo does not need to retrieve the repository list, username and password can be eliminated this way.

I ran into another issue, potentially because we have 2 factor auth turned on: Failed to load data from Bitbucket. com.atlassian.bamboo.plugins.bitbucket.api.BitbucketApiException: HTTP 403 To make an API call, you need to use an app password.

So, you'll need to create an app password to use with bamboo.
  1. Go to http://bitbucket.org/account/user/<YOUR_USER>
  2. Click on "App passwords" on the section "Access Management"
  3. Create an app password, setting permissions as desired.
  4. Now you have a unique password specially for applications that won't expire.Next step of the process:
  5. Go to Bamboo, and create a new Bitbucket Cloud repository.
  6. Choose "Provide username and password".
  7. Provide your username and the password you just generated (app password).
  8. Set "Authentication Type" as "SSH Private key".
  9. Select "Use shared credentials".
  10. Chose your credential.
  11. Test the connection.

Sander Brienen [Avisi]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2017

This is exactly what I ran into. It is weird that the Bitbucket Cloud link requires a username password while the documentation still allows SSH based authentication.

This is weird.

Like Intakhab Alam Siddiqui likes this
2 votes
Sean Lively July 20, 2017

Alexey, I just downloaded Bamboo version 6.0.3 build 60004, created a SSH Shared Credential, and when I then attempted to create a Linked Repository, the SSH shared credential is not available.

image.pngimage.png

Clément Gaal August 22, 2017

I up your post here. Same problem in 6.1. No ssh Credential working with linked repository.

1 vote
Jonathan Voss April 13, 2017

They say it works, but it really doesn't.

Alexey Chystoprudov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 13, 2017

Jonathan Voss, can you please describe what doesn't work for you?

0 votes
Alexey Chystoprudov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 1, 2017

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events