Build plans and deployment projects

hans_jacob_melby July 25, 2013

Hi!

I am trying out the new features for bamboo and I am a little confused about the "difference" between some of ne "natural" steps for a build plan and the deployment project.

In a youtube video from atlassian (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG-XxVYNS4c) you show how you define a pipeline and deploy your modules to diferent servers.

As the example shows this is easy :) Great work

My question is regarding the deployment project.

I am puzzled that they seem "diconectet" from eachother.

I have defined a lot of enviroments and a deploy project, but there is no way i can use/access it from the build plan. It seems like i have to define all the necesarry stept all over again in the build plan? Is that so ?

Further..If I for example automatically deploy to QA from the build plan, would the envirment informatin in the deploy project be updated ?

Is there any resources or videos on the net that explains this in more details? I really miss a "example" project (a bit more complex than the one refered to in the documentation) that shows the "link" (if there is any) between build plan and deployment project.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 28, 2014

The idea supports a Build-once-run-anywhere mentality.

Build plans are for building and creating the release package/artifacts.

* checkout from soruce

* compile

* test

* package

* ship to artifact server

The build plan is linked with a deployment project, and exposes an artifact (war, ear, pom, etc).

The deployment projects pull _from_ a build plan and push _to_ environments. That's the connection.

Deploy projects never build anything, or pull from source. They tak tjhe fnished product from the build, and allow a flexible deployment schedule to each environment.

If you have a "dev" environment, setting an automatic trigger upon completion of the build plan will allow a automatic deployment whens builds finish.

Or you can manually create a release from a completed build, and then that "release" can be deployed to any of your defined environments.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events