Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bamboo will not start: bamboo bootstrap failed: bamboo.cfg.xml

Thomas Frye March 25, 2022

BAMBOO version 8.12
When starting Bamboo, ./start-bamboo.sh and then visiting it's webpage. I receive the message (Fatal) (type = bootstrap) Description = "bamboo bootstrap failed: failed to find config at: /var/atlassian/application-data/bamboo/bamboo.cfg.xml" This is on a closed network so i cannot send logs. not much in the way of google responses. This is RHEL 7.x, i'm logged in with a normal user named Bamboo. But get the same results if i log in with another user named "Admin" and or Root. I've found a couple of articles on permissions. Bamboo is the owner and group for the folder structure on /opt/atlassian/bamboo/8.12/bin (this is the Installation Directory) and also owner and group on Home Directory /var/atlassian/application-data/bamboo The catalina.out log is challenging to read and find any specific error.

If anyone is able to assist, please assist.

2 answers

0 votes
Thomas Frye March 29, 2022

Turned out the application was fine, it was the init.d service.  per documentation it had a path to startup.sh (or something really close) rather than start-bamboo.sh.

Bamboo wouldn't start from startup.sh, had to kill bamboo as it was stuck, correct the init.d file with path to start-bamboo.sh and stop-bamboo.sh

tested both with ./bamboo start and ./bamboo stop from the init.d directory.  App started and stopped fine.  Be careful with the paths when reading the Starting Bamboo with a Service in Linux document.

0 votes
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2022

Hi @Thomas Frye ,

Welcome to the community. 

Did you check, if the file /var/atlassian/application-data/bamboo/bamboo.cfg.xml exist?

And could you make sure, that bamboo can read that file.

Thomas Frye March 28, 2022

Yes, /var/atlassian/application-data/bamboo/bamboo.cfg.xml exists and my user "bamboo" is able to access it.  Owner and Group privilege's for bamboo user.

in bamboo-init.properties

bamboo.home=/var/atalassian/application-data/bamboo

This is where bamboo.cfg.xml is located, in this file i can see my DB user and password, the license information.

I don't need to sudo to read or write any of files in my bamboo application directories as normal user bamboo is owner and group of all.

looking at atlassian-bamboo.log is says Error: "Home is not configured yet", if i try to start bamboo.  earlier in the log, after i installed bamboo and setup the application, there were no errors like this.

Still stuck.

Thomas Frye March 29, 2022

Turned out the application was fine, it was the init.d service.  per documentation it had a path to startup.sh (or something really close) rather than start-bamboo.sh.

Bamboo wouldn't start from startup.sh, had to kill bamboo as it was stuck, correct the init.d file with path to start-bamboo.sh and stop-bamboo.sh

tested both with ./bamboo start and ./bamboo stop from the init.d directory.  App started and stopped fine.

Like Bastian Stehmann likes this
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2022

Hi @Thomas Frye ,

Great you could find the solution and thanks for sharing it here.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events