Bamboo variable resolve to empty string in powershell script

Terence Tham February 10, 2016

I've got a powershell script within a git repository that I use to build the project.

In the script, I'm trying to run the following command

Get-ChildItem -Path ${bamboo.build.working.directory}\src -Filter project.json -Recurse | ForEach-Object { & dnu restore $_.FullName 2>1 }

and the above returns the following error

11-Feb-2016 12:39:43Get-ChildItem : Access to the path 'C:\cygwin\home\Administrator\.ssh' is denied.
11-Feb-2016 12:39:43At C:\build\FCL-FCRP-JOB1\Build\01_Build.ps1:26 char:1
11-Feb-2016 12:39:43+ Get-ChildItem -Path ${bamboo.build.working.directory}\src -Filter project.json - ...

The above script would run fine as INLINE, but the variable would resolve to empty string if it ran as a File.

Does anyone experience the same problem? Or am I missing something here?

Thank you.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
rverschoor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2016

Bamboo can indeed only expand variables when you use an inline script.
When you use a script file, PowerShell has absolutely no knowledge what those ${bamboo...} things are.

Passing them as arguments, or use the Bamboo environment variables, will do the trick.

fabcrm January 22, 2021

It would be really useful to back up your answers with a working example.

0 votes
Terence Tham February 10, 2016

To answer my own question, it turns out if you use powershell script inline, bamboo automatically substitute the bamboo variable into their respective values. However if you run it as a file, then you need to pass in the bamboo variable as arguments, so you need a param block inside the script file.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events