Bamboo usage in an air-gapped context

Niklas February 2, 2023

Hey,

I was not able to find specific details about this. Would it be possible to deploy and run bamboo in a fully air-gapped context, which means there would be no internet-connection during setup and also never during runtime. I found some infos about running bamboo offline, but how would licensing work in such a situation?

Same question for Bitbucket Cloud.

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2023

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Yes, you can run Bamboo inside an air-gapped network (I say network because I know of two organisations running Bamboo and Bitbucket on one primary server on a network with a load of secondary servers doing the builds.  There is a network there, but the network is only for builds and has no external access)

The licence is simple - you go into your Atlassian account, find the licence (or create one - DC evaluation or paid), and copy and paste the key into a text file.  You can then feed that key to the installation process, rather than click on "go get a licence".

Bitbucket Cloud cannot be airgapped.  By definition, it's an internet service.  (You can do whitelisting with it though - only let certain IP addresses reach it)

Niklas February 2, 2023

Thanks for the fast reply, thats fantastic news. Of course you would need a repository and other stuff in the same network, that would be provided and configured by us in this use-case.

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2023

One of the ones I'm thinking of had a process where they would take a laptop with the latest git repo into the data centre, sync with Bitbucket and then disconnect. 

The other one broke the airgap - every Tuesday afternoon, the airgapped network connected to their main network and synchronised the git repos.

I suspect there may be other good ways to do it, you've probably already got a better one than those!

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this
Niklas February 2, 2023

We don't have a "perfect" solution yet, currently evaluating different approaches, but the first approach you mentioned is probably the most suiting one, as the other is not really "air-gapped", as you also mentioned :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events