Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bamboo remote agents for test and release

Brent Bae August 3, 2017

I'm think of having multiple virtual machines on Azure cloud.

So my plan is having a bamboo server only build the project. After build process it deploys to other two virtual machines for testing(let's say one for UAT and the other for performance testing) 

After finishing the test , bamboo should be able to release the project to the production virtual machine.

With this scenario, is it correct that i need to purchse license for 3 remote agents?

Also I heard that there is plugin called "virtual agent for Bamboo". can it be used with Azure cloud? And how can i utilize the plugin so that i can reduce the license cost?. 

Thank you

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Christian Glockner
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 3, 2017

Hi Brent,

Bamboo's remote agent licenses are counted against online agents only. In your case it sounds like there would be one local agent (on the Bamboo server) and two remote agents (spun up on demand), so you'd end up with no more than two online remote agents at any one time.

The smallest license that gives you more than one remote agent is a 5-agent license.

Cheers,

Christian
Premier Support Engineer
Atlassian

Brent Bae August 3, 2017

Thanks for the reply,

So you're saying I need only two remote agents license for test but not need for deployment to produciton virtual machine. correct?

But virtual machine for production is sepearted from the bamboo server. is it still doesn't count as a remote agent?

Christian Glockner
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 3, 2017

Hi Brent,

Can you elaborate what you mean with "deploy to production virtual machine"?

Cheers,

Christian

Premier Support Engineer

Atlassian

Brent Bae August 3, 2017

Maybe I mixed with the term "deploy" and "release". sorry about confusion.

You can think of production virtual machin as production server and bamboo server is serperated from productions server. 

So after bamboo finishing building and testing, it should be able to connect to production server in order to release the project to production server.

hope this clear things up

Christian Glockner
Atlassian Team
August 3, 2017

Hi Brent,

Ah yes, that makes things clearer. Actually you might even be able to run this on just the local agent on the Bamboo server, depending on the requirements of your tasks.

For instance, if your Bamboo server is running on Linux, but you'll be building Windows code, you won't be able to do that without a remote agent running on Windows. However if you don't have any requirements that your local agent won't be able to satisfy, then you should be able to get by with just the local agent.

Keep in mind though that this will extend the time it takes to run your build since all tasks are executed in sequence since there's only one agent. If you have multiple agents (local or remote), some of them may run in parallel, depending on how your plan is set up.

In general, think of agents as workers that just execute whatever jobs you give them. Pushing code to a remote machine doesn't need a remote agent per se at all.

Is that any clearer?

Cheers,

Christian

Premier Support Engineer

Atlassian

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events