Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bamboo integration with tomcat

lorenooliveira July 16, 2013

I'm planning to extend the build plan of my application to include the execution of integration tests. For this, it's necessary to deploy my application to tomcat before running any selenium test.

With some googling I found this manual page: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Using+Tomcat+with+Bamboo+for+continuous+deployment

According to the previous page, bamboo will continuously deploy my application to the same running tomcat instance. The problem is that sooner or later this will cause a permgen problem and tomcat will have to be restarted manualy.

Is there anyway of integrating bamboo with tomcat in a way that the container is tottally started for each deploy and shut down at the finish?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
lorenooliveira July 22, 2013

Answering my own question, I followed Alexander's advice and wrote up a bash script for killing a possible running tomcat instance, delete the previous installation, create a new installation from the original zip file, configure tomcat-users.xml, and start tomcat. I used this bash script for creating a new script task within Bamboo. This task is followed by the ordinary tomcat deploy task, and everything is working like a charm now...

1 vote
Alexander Kiefer July 16, 2013

As far as I know, this is only possible if you invoke a script which restarts your tomcat, we are running such an environment since about one year and have never gotten a PermGen Exception with our servers.

lorenooliveira July 22, 2013

Alexander, is there any trick for avoiding permgen issues? Do you have any gotcha in the configurations of tomcat or bamboo? Are you using any JVM different from oracle's hotspot?

I have never seen someone performs thousands of deploys in a same running tomcat without having to restart it due to some problem (normally, permgen issues)...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events