Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bamboo bootstrap failed: Your Bamboo instance could not start because health check failed.

Jimi Hendricks September 30, 2019

I am getting this error when going to the website.  I checked the atlassian-bamboo.log for errors and see this entry near the bottom.

2019-09-30 16:58:53,464 FATAL [localhost-startStop-1] [DefaultBootstrapManager] Validation tests failed: [Task 51404 failed with exception: Failed to list contents of /var/atlassian/application/bamboo/caches/plugins/felix/felix-cache]

I updated permissions on that folder to the bamboo user, restarted bamboo and it did not fix the issue.  I also stopped bamboo, removed the caches folder and restarted bamboo.  That did not resolve the issue either.

I also tried upgrading to the latest version Atlassian Bamboo version 6.10.3 build 61008 and that did not help.  I was on version 6.9.1.

What else should I try?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Shankar Asam {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2019

Hi,

This might be some type of permission problem or cache corruption issue. Shut down Bamboo instance, manually delete BAMBOO_HOME/caches directory and start Bamboo server.

If Bamboo was previously started as a different user, such as root, many files in the BAMBOO_HOME directory will be owned by root. If you noticed this issue after that happened, please be sure to recursively change the ownership of that directory and its files back to your Bamboo user. 

-Shankar

Jimi Hendricks October 3, 2019

Hi, Shankar.

Thanks for your guidance.  It resolved my issue.  For others that may have this issue, here are the steps I took.

I am running Bamboo 6.10.3 on Linux (CentOS 7).

HOME_DIRECTORY = /var/atlassian/application/bamboo

INSTALL_DIRECTORY = /opt/atlassian/bamboo/atlassian-bamboo-6.10.3/

Symbolic link = /opt/atlassian/bamboo/current/ -> /opt/atlassian/bamboo/atlassian-bamboo-6.10.3

I used these instructions for installing Bamboo on Linux.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bamboo/installing-bamboo-on-linux-289276792.html

I used these instructions for running Bamboo as a service.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bamboo/running-bamboo-as-a-linux-service-416056046.html

Location of Bamboo log file.

HOME_DIRECTORY/logs/atlassian-bamboo.log

Looking at the logs showed the permissions issues.

Here are the steps I took to resolve.

Stop Bamboo

- sudo systemctl stop bamboo

Delete caches folder

- sudo rm -R /var/atlassian/application/bamboo/caches

Change ownership to Bamboo user

sudo chown -R bamboo:bamboo /var/atlassian/application/bamboo

Start Bamboo

- sudo systemctl start bamboo

I hope these steps may help someone else with this issue.

Jimi

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events