Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bamboo backup restore is too slow

Roozbeh Shafiee October 15, 2019

Recently I'm upgrading and migrating my current Bamboo server from 6.4 to 6.10.x ! The backup zip file provided by "Import/Export" option from the Bamboo UI and I'm trying to import that into another Bamboo instance. The size of Backup is ~4GB and the restore process on a machine with SSD, 16 GB of RAM and 8 core CPU takes ~14 hours! Due to limitation of timeframe for the migration, how can I speed up the process ?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 16, 2019

Hi @Roozbeh Shafiee

First of all, let me explain why this process is slow. The export feature you are using will get the data from your DB and convert it to a DB independent format (XML) and backup your home directory with it. This process is really slow since every piece of data needs to be converted and then (depending on the configuration used) you will still have the time to pack the home directory. This is necessary when you want to convert your DB data to import it into a clean instance with a different DB flavor. I hope that is not your case.

Assuming you are moving your server to a different machine and keeping the same DB flavor, I would suggest something like:

1) Replicate the server to the new location (keeping the version 6.4)

Use the Alternative cloning scenario described in this document: 

This process will not require an export and will be faster to setup.

2) Upgrade the server

Follow the instructions in this document to upgrade your instance:

The steps above will not require the use of the Bamboo DB export/import feature and should be a lot faster.

Please, let me know if you have any questions about this.

Roozbeh Shafiee November 7, 2019

Thank you so much @Daniel Santos for the links and solution!

after some manual tests and then writing an Ansible playbook for that, it works like a charm and I can migrate/upgrade my Bamboo easily without any pain and blood!

;)

Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 7, 2019

I'm very glad to hear that @Roozbeh Shafiee!
Better when no pain and blood is involved =]

Keep rocking out there!
Have a good one mate!

Like Roozbeh Shafiee likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events