Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bamboo asterisk masked logs but not password

Chandan Datta March 25, 2020

Hi team

I am looking at Bamboo(Atlassian Bamboo version 6.0.1 build 60002 - 22 May 17) build logs and I can see that many variables and values are being masked but not the passwords. What setting causing the masking with *******?

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 11.34.07 AM.jpg

1 answer

2 votes
Marcin Gardias
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 26, 2020

Bamboo masks values that are defined as global, plan or deployment environment variables and contain 'password', 'sshKey', 'secret' or 'passphrase' in the variable name (case insensitive)

Chandan Datta March 26, 2020

Thanks Marcin, In this case all values of variables are masked and wondering if we can configure something to unmask those in logs. On the other hand a password value is not being masked

Marcin Gardias
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 27, 2020

What is probably happening, is that one of your password variables has a trivial value. (I'm guessing: '1')  Whenever bamboo finds it is assumes it needs to be masked, because it's a password. Remove it and things should be back to normal.

Value of -Dsonar.password is not masked because it's not defined as a Bamboo variable. Rather than typing it directly into a command line you should define a plan variable and then use it like this:

-Dsonar.password=${bamboo.sonar.password}
Like # people like this
Chandan Datta March 31, 2020

Thanks. Just to confirm, any other password variable having a trivial value is causing all other variable values to be masked in the logs. If so, I will investigate if that is the case for an internal password that should be done better

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events