Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bamboo & Postgres in Docker-Compose

Daniel Einars March 26, 2019

Hi

I've been trying to get the official Bamboo Container to run with a Postgesql Container.

It starts up fine, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it to accept the connection during the setup stage.

Here is my complete docker-compose.yml file. There are some other services in there as well but I've left them in for completness' sake. I've had to put the file in a Github Gist since the code formatting in here broke the style:

https://gist.github.com/polaroidkidd/770bad86100b84651c0149a4170cc1e6

I've tried entering every combination of mapping it to the address reported by the docker container inspect command, using the service and docker container name.

Either it claims that the user and/or password is wrong, or it claism that the jdbc driver is missing.

I've checked the image and found all the drivers in the /opt/atlassian... directory. Are they somehow not loaded? Or am I missing something obvious but crucial?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 27, 2019

Hi @Daniel Einars

I'm not sure what exactly were the connection strings you used before, but the ones below work for me:

jdbc:postgresql://<IP_OF_SERVER_HOSTING_CONTAINERS>:5000/bamboo
jdbc:postgresql://<CONTAINER_IP>:5432/bamboo

Docker networking can be tricky some times. Containers don't know each other by name and depending on the configuration they might be in different networks.

I personally was struggling for a long time trying to use localhost without realizing that I was running Bamboo inside a container and localhost had a different meaning there.

Regarding user and password, I used the ones shared there: user and password, no changes.

Daniel Einars March 27, 2019

Hi

You're right. I managed to get it working. If anyone is interested here are my (current) docker-compose and nginx configurations.

nginx

docker-compose

Like Daniel Santos likes this
Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 28, 2019

I'm glad you could make it work =]
Now you can really use the product. I hope you enjoy!

Daniel Einars March 28, 2019

Hehe, sort of.

I'm trying to get the git cloning to work via ssh but I'm having some difficulty with the nginx configuration.. or the vps? I'm not sure which one is giving me trouble.

I have an ssh key to log into the vps and one configured in bitbucket to clone. However, when I try to clone it asks me for my password. I think that's because the request goes something like this

me with bitbucket-key -> vps (eth0, sees it's not in the keys and asks for password for the git user).

If I open the port for bitbucket I can access it because I'm not going through the standard ssh port (22..23?). I need to find a way to forward the ssh request from eth0 -> docker0 -> nginx -> bitbucket server depending on the url (I'm running bitbucket on a subdomain).

I'm close, I can tell, but god damn it's frustrating to know the solution is 5 lines of code away and not grasp it ^^

Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
March 28, 2019

Hi @Daniel Einars

Do you mind opening a new question for this one?
The main topic of this thread is talking about Bamboo and Postgres on docker compose. I just want to keep us organized and also save the time of other users coming here looking for tips related to the main thread.

Like Daniel Einars likes this
Daniel Einars March 28, 2019

Ah, yeah. Sorry. I already did actually (here ) but I already figured out that it couldn't be done the way I had hoped. I'm going to explain why and how I'm going to resolve it in that question.

Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
March 28, 2019

Thank you @Daniel Einars for either posting a new message and also following up with your findings.
That will certainly help other customers.

See you in the next thread!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events