• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Bamboo Yaml Spec Files checkout specific branch

I can't find a way in the yaml spec reference to checkout a specific branch of a (linked) repository. Creating an extra linked repository for each branch isn't a clean solution in my opinion.

Does anyone know about this?

2 answers

1 accepted

@danieldaeschle 

We ran into a similar problem, where we wanted to checkout specific tags or branches of dependencies, depending on the versions used in the main project that is being tested.

I did find a solution, but it is not exactly "clean" - in fact it is really complicated given the simplicity of what I wanted to achieve.

At the start of the build I defined a task, which parses the version of the dependency from the main build and exposes it as a "result variable". In our case they are all maven projects, so we use the Maven Pom Value Extractor plugin for this part.

Then I have defined stages to build each of dependencies. The first task in each of these stages uses a Script task to manually checkout the correct tag / branch of the dependency.

We use java specs so I don't have yaml version to hand, but the basic format is like this:

Stage 1 : Check dependency versions

1. Extract dependency versions as result variables e.g `dependency_x_version` (Using pom value extractor)

Stage 2: Build dependency x

1. Script task which checks out git branch or tag based on result variable `dependency_x_version`
  2. build dependency 1

...More stages for other dependencies

Final Stage:

- Build main product we want to test.

How do you manually checkout that branch?

Oh, forgot to actually answer the question:

First we have a checkout task, which checks out the dependencies master branch.

Then, we have a script task with contents similar to below:

#!/bin/bash -x

EXPECTED="${bamboo_variable_for_target_branch}"

git branch -a
git checkout $EXPECTED

CURRENT=`git rev-parse --abbrev-ref HEAD`
if [ "$CURRENT" == "$EXPECTED"];
then
echo "Now on branch $CURRENT"
exit 0
fi

echo "On branch $CURRENT, either $EXPECTED does not exist or repo cache outdated

Notes:

- We had to select the option: "Fetch Whole Repository" on each linked repo

- We had to make sure to checkout each dependency into it's own working directory (and set the script task's working directory to match the dependency in question

Like danieldaeschle likes this

Try sth. like this (requires Bamboo 6.10 or later)

version: 2

plan:
project-key: PRJ
key: PLAN
name: Plan name
master-branch: branchX

stages:
- Default stage:
- Default job

Default job:
tasks: []

triggers: []

i need it for another repository which will be checked out, not the main repository.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Bamboo

Bamboo 7.2 is here!

I'm happy to announce that Bamboo 7.2 has been released and it’s overflowing with awesome new features. This will be the last major Server release before the launch of Bamboo DC. Bamboo logs We...

477 views 5 7
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you