Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bamboo YAML - how to specify multiple tasks

Miguel Almeida February 1, 2019

Hi,

I'm having a weird experience while using YAML files for builds and I'm wondering if somebody could shed some light.

With the below YAML as an example I'd expect to have 1 job with 2 steps (both scripted). In reality what Bamboo is doing is creating 2 jobs. If I wanted to create 2 jobs I would've created 2 "- jobs:" lines. This is affecting us because if we have 5 or 6 scripted inputs and one of the middle one fails, the build still is considered successful and I end up with a container running nothing because the build step failed.

project:
    key: AAA
    plan:
      key: BBB
      name: Yelp
stages:
  - jobs:
    - scripts:
      - dotnet clean
    - scripts:
      - dotnet restore

1 answer

1 vote
Victor Debone
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 4, 2019

Hello @Miguel Almeida,

Thank you for sharing your experience with YAML!

The solution in your case is to use another item on the "- scripts:" line, like this:

- scripts:
- dotnet clean
  - dotnet restore 

Bamboo will create a single stage with 2 scripts jobs :)

Meanwhile, I see that you're actively using YAML and we are considering some improvements for YAML. We are looking to hear some feedback from customers, so if you could reach me at vdebone@atlassian.com, you could make part of this conversation :)

Victor

Robert Armenski April 29, 2019

Hello @Victor Debone,

I stumbled across the same issue while looking at the YAML Spec Reference.

Having the above setup, multiple entries under one scripts entry actually produces one script task with multiple lines (tested with the example from Multiple Jobs).

Atlassian Bamboo version: 6.8.1 build 60805 - 13 Mar 19.

Please confirm if this is a bug or an intended feature.

P.S. As the YAML spec reference already has sections for Multiple Stages & Multiple Jobs, it would be nice to add a section for Multiple Tasks as well. Also, it would be beneficial to have a section about writing multiline elements (using the > prefix). 

Victor Debone
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 29, 2019

Hello @Robert Armenski,

Thanks for pointing that out. You are right, I couldn't create a job with two script tasks.

This feature is improved in the next version of Bamboo, the 6.9, and it will allow you to create all the variations of script, jobs and stages that are discussed in this question :)

Also, I will include a new example to Multiple tasks in the documentation, alongside some multi-line examples. Thanks for the improvement suggestion

Victor

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events