Bamboo Startup Time

Bamboo takes over 30 minutes to startup, it appears that it is loading all builds into the JVM Cache. This seems like a not-great thing todo. Is there any way to configure this to use a redis/memcached or decrease the amount of caching?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 vote

275 - that's not much - any plan branches?

Yes, disabled plans also get loaded.

Instance statistics

Number of plans 60991

Number of builds (approx) 7866

Full reindex time (approx) 6 minutes

over 60K plans. That looks suspicious. Which Bamboo version are you on and does this number keep growing "on its own"?

It seems to be growing "on its own".

Number of plans 61082

Number of builds (approx) 8009

Full reindex time (approx) 6 minutes

We are currently running Bamboo 5.1.

Check to see if you have a variable set for the git repository url in one of your plans that has automatic branching turned on. Thats what did it to mine!

Are you using Plan Branches? In particular is there a set of build plans that have a lot of branches?

We are. I just found a bug that is fixed in 5.1.1 (we are running 5.1.0 until tonight) that has some sort of infinite loop if the branch names contains a comma. Most likely the cause, hope to clean this all out and see how much it improves load time.

Yeah, that bug is the reason why I've asked about growth and Bamboo version.

Once you upgrade, the branches coung will stop growing, but the old ones will still be there.

You can try enabling branch expiry on the affected plans to have Bamboo remove the automatically. It's a lot to remove though.

There is some steps to help cleanout the old branches in the bug ticket that I will attempt to follow tonight.

How can we obtain these kind of instance statistics? We are dealing with a similar problem, but we aren't sure how to take that heartbeat.

0 vote

Unfortunately not. We are aware of the problem though and we are investigating possible approaches to reducing it.

30 minutes seems like a lot though - how many plans do you have?

275 Build Plans. Do disabled plans also get loaded into memory?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Renan Battaglin
Published May 18, 2017 in Bamboo

FAQ: How to Upgrade Bamboo Server

Bamboo 5.9 will no longer be supported after June 12, 2017. What does this mean? As part of our End of Life policy, Atlassian supports major versions for two years after the first major iteratio...

1,096 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot