Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bamboo Remote Agent not using Windows Admin Account

John Bowker July 17, 2012

I've installed a remote agent as a Windows service and set the service to Log On as an admin user but when I run a job the agent uses the SYSTEM account.

How do you configure the agent to use an admin account?

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
ArmenA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2012

Hi John,

Thanks for the question. As per this document, (Running Bamboo as a Windows service as the local user - Atlassian Documentation) you can go to the properties page of the Bamboo remote agent service, move to 'Log On' tab and choose 'This account'. After, fill in the credentials of the admin account and save. Restart the remote agent service and let me know how this goes. Feel free to open a support ticket (https://support.atlassian.com) if you still experience the same problem and provide screenshots indicating the problem, Bamboo server, and remote agent log files.

Cheers,
Armen

Brendon Dugan September 24, 2013

Armen,

The page you linked to in this answer no longer exists. Does this guide exist anywhere else?

William Burns May 29, 2015

^bump^

Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 25, 2019

Hello Guys, 

I just updated the link shared with a new one!

1 vote
Mark Brodziak August 19, 2014

I had the same problem. After reading through the Tanuki service wrapper documentation (and some trial and error) the following worked for me:

1. If you already have a Windows service installed to run the Bamboo remote agent, uninstall it.

2. Edit wrapper.conf as follows:

# Specify the user to run as at installation time (will prompt for password at install time)
wrapper.ntservice.account=[fully-qualified-username eg MYDOMAIN\myuser]
wrapper.ntservice.password.prompt=true
set.USERNAME=[username eg myuser]

3. Install the service using the InstallNTService.bat in the Bamboo agent directory; it will prompt for the password at install time, and will remember this password in the service.

Then, check the 'Agents' administration panel in the Bamboo UI, and you should see that the username is what you are expecting.

0 votes
mnsanghvi February 27, 2014

Yes I am. I have restarted the agent, rebooted Windows, uninstalled and installed the service as per Java Service Wrapper documentation as well. All to no avail.

0 votes
mnsanghvi February 27, 2014

I have a Bamboo remote agent on Windows. I have it configured as shown in the documentation linked to above. When I look at the system properties tab on the Administration > Agents > remote.agent.host page it shows the USERNAME=SYSTEM. The agents' temporary directory and user home directory are all correct and using the build users' home directory.

What I see:

APPDATA=C:\Users\builder\AppData\Roaming

HOMEPATH=\Users\builder

LOCALAPPDATA=C:\Users\builder\AppData\Local

USERNAME=SYSTEM

USERPROFILE=C:\Users\builder

In several of the tasks I had for the Windows plan, I added a "set" command which printed the values of the environment.

What I would expect to see is that almost everything from above would be the same except:

USERNAME=builder

How can I get that to happen ? Or is Bamboo just going to use SYSTEM no matter what user the service is logged on as ?

The service is logged on as "builder" for the above setup.

John Bowker February 27, 2014

If you are running this as a service did you restart the Bamboo Agent service after entering the user details?

0 votes
ArmenA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2013

Hi Brendon,

Sorry for the inconvenience. The page is removed for the latest Bamboo versions (5.x). Use the old copy of that same page - https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BAMBOO031/Running+Bamboo+service+on+Windows+as+the+local+user.

Armen

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events