Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bamboo REST API: how to trigger a plan and waiting for a result

Ilan Hazan July 23, 2019

Hello,
I would like to write a bash script to use the Bamboo REST API in order to trigger a plan tests and would like to wait for it to finish and get a result (failed or success).
Upon success, I would like to do something in the pipeline.

I found the following commands:
#This triggers the plan 
curl -k --user user:password -X POST -d "stage&executeAllStages" https://bamboo.myserver.com/rest/api/latest/queue/XXX-YYY

I can parse the result of that command in order to get the build number by:
sed 's/.*buildNumber\="\([0-9]*\)".*/\1/'

I can use the extracted build number in order to query the result:
curl -k --user user:password -X GET https://bamboo.myserver.com/rest/api/latest/result/XXX-YYY/build-number

And then i need to parse result and do a busy wait to ask again and parse until there is an answer.

I am sure this is bad practice and would like to ask if there is one command (REST API) that do that for me. Just not returning until there is an answer.

Many thanks in advanced 

2 answers

1 vote
Ilan Hazan July 31, 2019

I implemented the algorithm.

I improved the bash's sed regular expression and did a loop with some sleeps between the Bamboo API calls:
Bamboo REST API: how to trigger a plan and waiting for a result 

Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 31, 2019

That is great @Ilan Hazan, thank you for taking the time to share your solution here =]

Like Ilan Hazan likes this
Michael Fellinger December 16, 2022

The provided link is dead. Can you post it again, please?

Like # people like this
Suguna Tejaswini Nandakumara October 30, 2023

Hi,

I am trying to trigger the bamboo build on a bamboo plan with a given branch/commit using rest api, using powershell scripting (probably using Invoke-RestMethod). any example or reference for this?

1 vote
Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 24, 2019

Hi @Ilan Hazan

I don't see a better option to get the information you want other than using REST API and asynchronously checking if the build finished.

I have a suggestion for small improvements in your approach.

• Try to use  jq (JSON processor) to filter the request responses. There is one example you can see jq being used: Solved: How to get deploymentResultId using REST API?
  • Try to use   <Bamboo_URL>/rest/api/latest/result/status/XXX-YYY-# (to check the build status) before calling the result itself. It should be a call with a lower cost for Bamboo and will give you the current status of the build.
  • Remember to implement a timeout in case the bamboo build has a routine that freezes it.

I guess those are pieces of advice can give you.

Ilan Hazan July 24, 2019

@Daniel Santos Many thanks

Like Daniel Santos likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events