Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bamboo Global Expiry

Chantelle Webley August 8, 2018

The Atlassian/BambooHome/artifacts directory on our Bamboo server has grown very large.

I have done some research and can see that you can use the global expiry functionality to automatically clear it down.

However I am unsure exactly how it works , we mostly use remote agents however it seems all the build artifacts are being written to the server.

I have seen a few posts about this but I cant find any that specifically answer my questions below:

1.Will configuring the global expiry settings remove old files from the server or will it remove them from wherever the remote agent is hosted?

2.Is there a reason that this data is being written to the server when these a remote agents?

3.What is the consequence of deleting the files in this directory?

Bamboo version 5.15.5

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Gabriel Ribeiro
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 10, 2018

Hi Chantelle,

Yes, the expiry functionality is the safest way to keep disk usage under control.

I'll try to answer your questions:

1. Will configuring the global expiry settings remove old files from the server or will it remove them from wherever the remote agent is hosted?

It will remove the files from the Bamboo server only, more specifically from the bamboo-home/xml-data/builds and bamboo-home/artifacts folders.

Please see:  Locating important directories and files

2. Is there a reason that this data is being written to the server when these a remote agents?

Because the files need to be available even if the agents are not online, on more recent bamboo versions, you can change where the artifacts will be stored but, Bamboo will keep transferring build logs and results to the server.

3. What is the consequence of deleting the files in this directory?

The only consequence will be that old builds (logs, build results and artifacts) will not be available in Bamboo anymore, that's the reason why is recommended to have a very clear company-wide policy defining how long the results will be kept.

Let me know if this answered your questions. 

cheers.

Chantelle Webley August 13, 2018

Thats great thank you!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events