Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup/restore requirements when upgrading from Bamboo 6.0 to Bamboo 6.6 running as AWS instanse

Lena July 4, 2018

Hello,

Our current production Bamboo server is version 6.0 running as AWS EC2 instance (with 2 volumes) integrated  with Postgresql RDS DB and JIRA user management.

I'm working on Bamboo upgrade to 6.6 and my challenge is that there is no any testing environment  where I can test the upgrade first. so I'm looking for the best approach for backup of current server so in the case something goes wrong  I can roll back fast to minimize server downtime.

Is creating AWS snapshots for Bamboo server's volumes a good enough path to follow to make sure the upgrade is easy revertible? I did read the documentation here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/bamboo/cloning-a-bamboo-instance-289277407.html

and I'm obviously going to export data as advised, but I need to be on the safest side that I can also revert the change quickly.

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Craig Castle-Mead
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 4, 2018

Hey Lena,

I suggest the following steps:

1. Stop the Bamboo application (to ensure the next few steps all happen with Bamboo in the same state
  2. Copy all your customized configuration files from the application directory to a location outside the application directory
  3. Snapshot your 2 x EBS volumes 
  4. Snapshot your RDS PSQL database
  5. Run the Bamboo upgrade
  6. Re-apply your customizations (step 2) - diff'ing the pre and post upgrade versions is a useful way of seeing what changes the upgrade caused Vs the customizations your made and need to be reapplied
  7. Start Bamboo
  8. Test, test, test
  9. If everything passes, celebrate!
  10. If not, redeploying the 3 snapshots (2 x EBS and 1 x RDS) should be a safe way to get you back up and running to the pre-upgrade version

The Bamboo upgrade path has been relatively smooth and reliable in our environment so hoping you won't have any issues! And according to https://confluence.atlassian.com/bamboo/bamboo-upgrade-guide-720411366.html#Bambooupgradeguide-upgrade_pathDetermineyourupgradepath 6.0 > 6.6 looks like it should be a single upgrade - no need for an intermediary step.

CCM

Lena July 4, 2018

Hi Craig,

Sounds like a good plan.

Thanks a lot

Lena

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events