Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically create Deployment Plan per Branch (like branch build plans)

xetius July 27, 2017

Our current workflow involves our devs creating feature branches for each new feature from JIRA.  When a change is committed, Bamboo creates a new branch build plan for the new branch.  This runs, tests and creates artifacts.  I need to be able to deploy these, but to create a deployment plan, I need to specify a branch... manually...

Ideally, when bamboo creates a branch build plan, I should be able to specify if I want a deployment plan for that branch.  

Is there a way to do this currently.  For front end developers, we want deploy to an nginx server which is configured to handle a domain from the master branch and subdomains from feature branches.

This part is all working.  It just doesn't trigger the deploy on successful build plan completion.  With the introduction of containerisation, it is possible to simultaneously deploy multiple branches which are uniquely referenceable.  Unfortunately, it appears that Bamboo does not agree, insisting that a single environment can only have a single branch deployed at any one time, and that all deployments should come from the deployment (master) branch.  This simply is not the case any more.

Am I missing something here, or is it just not possible.  I was lead to believe that the latest 6.1 upgrade would resolve this.  I have upgraded, and it appears to have broken a lot of existing deployments. 

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 28, 2017

Hi Chris,

This is currently not available but there are two Suggestions for this that you can vote on.  Once you do that you'll be notified of any updates/workarounds, etc.:

Please vote on the two issues to add impact so this feature can get more visibility and hopefully be added in the future.

Cheers,

Branden

xetius November 21, 2017

This has been revisited again at our company.  We still need this functionality.  Do we have to revert back to Jenkins to get the ability to parameterise our deploys based off of the branch name.  

Another possible solution would involve plan continuation for specific branches only.  However, this does not seem possible as there is no conditional flow control.

Graham Ballantyne March 12, 2020

@somethingblueit's 2.5 years later and this feature still hasn't been implemented? It's a pretty basic requirement for CI/CD.

systematicguy April 1, 2020

@Graham Ballantyne IKR? I also tripped on this very stone. I am about to create a manual stage for my bamboo plan to achieve some half-assed deployment solution because of this limitation.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events