cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attempt to add bamboo remote agent causes error with chmod

yogesh_devi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2020

Hello , I am running Atlassian Bamboo version 7.1.1 build 70117 - 23 Jul 20.

I am trying to Add a Ubunto 20 remote  build agent 

When I try  running the agent installer jar as show below 

java -jar atlassian-bamboo-agent-installer-7.1.1.jar https://atlproxy.ucalabs.com/bamboo/agentServer/ 

I get following error . 

Installing file: /generic/lib/wrapper.jar to: /root/bamboo-agent-home/lib/wrapper.jar
Installing file: /generic/lib/bamboo-agent-bootstrap-jar-with-dependencies.jar to: /root/bamboo-agent-home/lib/bamboo-agent-bootstrap.jar
Installing file: /arch/linux/x86_64/wrapper to: /root/bamboo-agent-home/bin/wrapper
Error invoking chmod commandString
java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "chmod": error=13, Permission denied
at java.base/java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(ProcessBuilder.java:1128)
.#truncated the call stack 
at com.atlassian.bamboo.agent.installer.AgentInstaller.main(AgentInstaller.java:91)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: error=13, Permission denied
at java.base/java.lang.ProcessImpl.forkAndExec(Native Method)
at java.base/java.lang.ProcessImpl.<init>(ProcessImpl.java:319)
at java.base/java.lang.ProcessImpl.start(ProcessImpl.java:250)
at java.base/java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(ProcessBuilder.java:1107)
... 9 more

Also , please note that this error is agonstic to JDK used. I tried switching between JDK 1.8 and the Java 14 JDK on Bamboo agent - but this error remains the same across JDKs

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
yogesh_devi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2020

I could resolve this with following sequence although sadly I am unable to nail the exact reason that was causing this error - 

1 ) Completely remove the old bamboo agent home  ( old home directories are cause of most problems  - and make sure the old home does not exist in any path ) 

2) Make sure you use right supported version JDK ( in my case )  - 

java version "1.8.0_60" - Earlier I had used JDK14 that isnt supported 

3) Make sure you are using the appropriate jar 

4) Specify the bamboo agent home explicitly in the registration command using the -Dbamboo.home  ( The default command displayed does not include this option) -

java -jar -Dbamboo.home=/home/bamboo/bamboo-agent-home atlassian-bamboo-agent-installer-7.1.1.jar https://atlproxy.ucalabs.com/bamboo/agentServer/

5) Run this as a bamboo user with right shell ( I used bash to make it work  ) 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events