Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Admin account after migrating to a new server

David Mills March 7, 2018

Hi, We are planning to migrate all our Atlassian tools to new servers.  They all use Crowd for their user management.  All the apps except Bamboo allow the use of local users concurrently with the Crowd ones.
Where we are migrating to cannot see the existing crowd server.  So how can I migrate Bamboo?  I have performed a trial migration, and after importing the data to the new empty instance am unable to login as user management fails due to not being able to see the old Crowd instance.

2 answers

0 votes
David Mills March 13, 2018

Hi Jeyanthan, thanks for the reply. I understand that given that the legacy Crowd is no longer visible I have to swap to the local user admin. However, if we ever had any users configured in the local user repository I am unaware of them. So after swapping, how can I log in as an administrator?

Thanks, David

Christian Glockner
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 13, 2018

Hi David,

When you first set up Bamboo an admin user is created. You can use this user to log into Bamboo - if you forgot the password, you can reset it using the procedure described in https://confluence.atlassian.com/bamboo/restoring-passwords-to-recover-admin-users-289277354.html

Cheers,

Christian

Premier Support Engineer

Atlassian

David Mills March 13, 2018

Thanks - that's what I need.  

I won't get a chance to attempt for a few weeks.  I'll add an outcome here when I do.

0 votes
Christian Glockner
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 8, 2018

Hi David,

You can follow the steps in this document to revert Bamboo to local user authentication and then reconfigure Crowd authentication:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bamkb/bamboo-lost-connection-to-the-external-user-directory-preventing-users-from-logging-in-678691207.html

Cheers,

Christian

Premier Support Engineer

Atlassian

David Mills March 12, 2018

Hi,

Thanks for that.  I understand that after following the instructions, the internal directory will now be in use.  How do I then add an administrator to the local directory to allow logins?

Cheers,

David

Jeyanthan I
Atlassian Team
March 13, 2018

If you are using Crowd as your User management, what you are trying to achieve is not currently possible in Bamboo. You can only use Crowd as a user repository at a time and not with local user repository. As you notice, under Overview -> User repositories you could only choose one among the three distinct options for user management:

• Local users and groups
    Users and groups are stored and managed in Bamboo.
  • Users and groups from JIRA or Crowd
    Users and groups are stored and retrieved from a JIRA or Crowd server.
  • Custom user repository
    Users and groups are stored and retrieved from an LDAP server or a custom repository as defined in the "atlassian-user-custom.xml" file in the Bamboo home directory.

When your Crowd server is unreachable, you would have to manually revert Bamboo's User Management to Internal Directory like mentioned in the above link and then configure Crowd back.

However, if you are using LDAP, you have the option to use both LDAP and Bamboo internal directory working together as you will be choosing "Custom user repository" like mentioned here.

Hope that clarifies.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events