Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding git capability causes "New access key is required but could not be added to Bitbucket Server"

John Gill February 23, 2018

I have bitbucket and bamboo on two separate windows servers.

I have git installed on bamboo server.

When I add Git capability I get "New access key is required but could not be added to Bitbucket Server"

I have installed keys in bamboo and bitbucket.

I can used git on the command line on bamboo server to clone repository. It does ask me for the passkey though.

With Git Capability added bamboo can no longer build. If I remove the git capability from bamboo, it can build. Refreshing the repository doesn't help.

I want to use the merging feature of bamboo which needs to Git capability added.

1 answer

1 vote
rsperafico
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 23, 2018

Hello @johngillwp,

Could you please have a look at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BAM-18511Improve error communication for "New access key is required but could not be added to Bitbucket Server" in Bamboo checking if any of the issues described relates to the problem you are facing?

Kind regards,

Rafael

Well better error reporting would help, but it doesn't really help right now getting it working.

I'm in the middle of evaluating bamboo, but if this isn't solvable then I don't see atlassian getting a sale.

If I go to the repositories tab of the plan, I see this

• New access key is required but could not be added to Bitbucket Server.
  • com.atlassian.bamboo.executor.CancelException: Command was canceled: command system.git.executable version failed with code -1. Working directory was [\].
  • com.atlassian.bamboo.executor.CancelException: Command was canceled: command system.git.executable version failed with code -1. Working directory was [\].

The problem is obvious... 
    system.git.executable needs to be d:\tools\Git\bin\git

I tried that before, but I think it didn't work because my keys were wrong. So I blew it all away and started again, and this time forgot to set the path properly.

I knew if I posted the question, I'd spot my own mistake.

So basically the problem was PEBKAC (Problem exists between keyboard and chair).
rsperafico
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 23, 2018

I am glad the  https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BAM-18511 - Improve error communication for "New access key is required but could not be added to Bitbucket Server" helped you out:

2. Git executable couldn't be found / launched.

Kind regards,

Rafael

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events