FAQ: How to Upgrade Bamboo Server

Bamboo 5.9 will no longer be supported after June 12, 2017. What does this mean? As part of our End of Life policy, Atlassian supports major versions for two years after the first major iteration of that version was released (for example, we support Bitbucket 4.0.x for 2 years after Bitbucket 4.0.0 was released). This means that even if you have active maintenance, Atlassian Support will not be able to assist you with questions related to Bamboo 5.9. You will need to upgrade to a more modern version of Bamboo in order to get help from Atlassian Support. We recommend upgrading to the newest version so you can take advantage of the newest features and most recent bug fixes. 

We know that upgrading can often generate questions as you go through the testing and installation process. So, our Bamboo Support experts have compiled this page with answers to some of our most frequently asked questions to help you on your way. If you have other questions, feel free to ask them by clicking here and adding the tag 'bamboofaq'. 

What is the best/shortest upgrade path from my version to Bamboo X.X?

The upgrade path for Bamboo depends on the version you're currently on, and the version you want to upgrade to. It can also change if you decide to move to a new server. We've put together this Bamboo upgrade guide that has comprehensive instructions on the best upgrade path for different scenarios. Before you get started, it's always a good idea to check the release notes for the versions in your upgrade plan so you're aware of the features & bug fixes included.

Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 11.33.44 AM.png

How long does it take to upgrade?

There are quite a few factors that can impact the time it takes to upgrade. To estimate how long your upgrade will take, you'll want to keep these factors in mind:

• the size of your instance database
  • the version you are upgrading from
  • how many platforms need to be upgraded
  • whether your other Atlassian apps (JIRA, Bitbucket) also need to be upgraded

We always recommend conducting an upgrade on a test instance, so this can help you estimate how much time to allocate for your full upgrade. 

How can I duplicate my server to test the upgrade first?

Duplicating your server instance to test an upgrade is always a good way to make sure you don't lose any data or have any unexpected glitches. Check out this article on Cloning a Bamboo Instance to get started. 

Note: If your Bamboo instance is too large to export/import, you can still clone your instance by using an alternative backup and restore strategy. Check out this documentation on alternative cloning scenario. 

Where can I get a development license in order to test the upgrade?

Having current maintenance entitles you to a development license, which you can use to test new versions of products (as often as you want). 

You can view all the detail of your development license at http://myatlassian.com/. To access it, enter your current Bamboo SEN (Support Entitlement Number), which can be found in Bamboo under Administration >> License. 

What are the supported platforms I need to upgrade in order to upgrade to Bamboo X.X? (database, java, etc)

For the full list of supported platforms and their versions, check out the Supported Platforms documentation. Additionally, it's always a good idea to check the End of Support Announcements for Bamboo to stay on top of any platforms and browsers that are no longer supported by Bamboo. 

What version do I need to upgrade to in order to get feature X?

A summary of features released by version can be found on the Bamboo Releases documentation page. This allows you to find the top features we shipped in each version to see which is right for your team.

In addition to new features, it's also a good idea to check out the bugs fixes we've shipped in newer versions: sometimes these changes can have a big impact on your teams' experience with the product too. You can find bug fix information on the release notes for each version of Bamboo. 

Where can I find upgrade instructions that are specific to my version of Bamboo?

Occasionally we make changes to Bamboo which result in some specific steps you need to take during upgrading, or just some information you need to be aware of. (For example, an upgrade that requires restarts for remote agents or database setting changes.)

Check out these Version-specific Upgrade Notes for specific guidelines and tips pertaining to your upgrade. We recommend checking all version notes in between your current version and target version to make sure there are no hiccups.

Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 1.40.14 PM.png

Do I need to upgrade my other Atlassian applications as well in order to keep integrations compatible? (For example, JIRA Software, FishEye/Crucible, Bitbucket)

As a general rule, you should ensure your applications are using the same major version of Application Links to resolve any potential incompatibilities. For details on which version of Application Links is bundled with various Atlassian products, check out the Application Links Version Matrix.

Can I upgrade Bamboo and migrate to a different machine at the same time?

We recommend doing one operation at a time, not both simultaneously. Specifically, we suggest migrating to a new machine first, then performing the upgrade. This more powerful setup will shorten outage time during your upgrade. If this option is not available to you, you can also upgrade first on the machine you currently use and then migrate to a different machine. For more detail and visuals of the process, check out documentation on How to Upgrade/Migrate Bamboo.

How can I find out if my plugin is compatible with Bamboo X.X? 

If you use apps to extend or customize your Bamboo instance, one of the most important things to check before upgrading is that your apps have a version that's compatible with the version of Bamboo you're upgrading to. The majority of Atlassian Marketplace apps are compatible within days of a new release of a product, but it's always a good first step to check before starting the process of upgrading. 

Search for your Bamboo app here in the Atlassian Marketplace. As an administrator, you can view your list of apps in the Universal Plugin Manager (UPM), which can be accessed on the top navigation bar by clicking  image2014-5-29 15-23-3.png >> Add-ons.

Do I need a new license for Bamboo in order to upgrade?

As long as your current license is still in maintenance, you do not need to purchase a new license to upgrade. To check the validity of your current license, go to http://myatlassian.com/. If the maintenance period of your existing license has lapsed, you can renew it here and then proceed with the version upgrade. 

What's Next

Give yourself a high five for getting your team one step closer to a new and improved Bamboo. Then, start your upgrade to unleash the latest and greatest features.

Thoughts or questions?

We'd love to hear from you! Feel free to add comments below. To ask a question about your Bamboo Server upgrade, go here, click create, and be sure to add the tag bamboofaq.  One of our Bamboo ninjas will be there to assist.

Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 11.34.40 AM.png

1 comment

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2019

Hi! 

Thanks! 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events