Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help to reduce automations in response to plan changes

Phillip C October 15, 2023

With the upcoming automation restrictions imposed by Atlassian, I would like to know if there are ways I can reduce the automations required to run.

I have a fair few rudimentary automations that perform actions based on the email address or summary of a ticket, but I don't think the automation rules have much more to help reduce the amount of times these automations are triggered?

Any help is appreciated.

Screenshot 2023-10-16 100419.pngScreenshot 2023-10-16 100440.png

2 answers

0 votes
james.cattermole November 30, 2023

If you remove the option to email a project and get users to request via the portal you can reduce automations used to triage emailed requests.

Using a portal enables users to select the correct type of request that can then be assigned to an issue type directly.

0 votes
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2023

Hey @Phillip C

I have some tips which we've checked out for our own automation rules:

1. Make sure that the first action in your rule is a condition which executes this rule only in the necessary cases. This way the rule results in a "No action" result and therefore doesn't count against the limit.
  2. Depending on your use case, you can possible switch some automation rules from an issue creation trigger to a scheduled one, so that the scheduled rule runs e.g. every day and performs the same action on all issues created within that day.
  3. You can also combine several rules into one, e.g. the two rules you've listed above could be combined, so that they're not counted twice.
    I don't like that change too much since the administration is harder, but you'll end up with fewer rules.

Maybe some more people have additional guidance.

Cheers,
Matthias.

Phillip C October 16, 2023

thanks Matthias. However, the conditions to check for the somewhat simple details of an email sender or description or even summary of a ticket received is still counted towards automation consumption. But I'm happy to be proven wrong here!

I've definitely considered just morphing a bunch of conditions into a few larger automations that run on a schedule.. but that's against the principles of operating a service management project - I've SLA's and work to do. I also don't want to add additional filters for tickets where automation rules will be 'eventually' dealing with them.

Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 4, 2023

@Phillip C, I got triggered by the other comment to have another look at your post and wondered if you solved it for yourself already?

If not, I might have one more idea: If you omit the re-fetching of the issue data, your automation might actually be considered to run with "No action performed". We don't refetch the information for our rules which works fine for us - not sure if you have a specific reason to add it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events